Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give any info about how to go about creating some fairly simple business cards? Or is there anyone who's a wiz at it and could whip something up for me for parts or ?

I'm thinking about a picture on the back side and a gray version of the picture on the front with name and contact info.

Frank

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Are you planning on using these for a side business (your YOM stuff) or your main business?

Because for your occupation, I would not recommend home-made business cards. They definitely look inferior, and I personally am very wary when someone hands me one.

Office Depot prints up really nice ones for pretty cheap (like $25-30) same day, and can do anything from basic vanilla to raised lettering to full color.

But if your just giving your contact info for YOM stuff at car shows etc. I personally see no harm in some cheap homemade cards.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
104 Posts
Go to Office Depot or similiar and there are paper products from Avery and the like that let you create pretty nice cards that print right from your own printer.

If that isn't what you want I could do them for you, my shop is in Los Gatos and I'm in town for the next week. Just send me the pic and such for what you want.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Meyer65 said:
Are you planning on using these for a side business (your YOM stuff)
That's exactly it, Derek. I want to have something to hand out at HAN and other shows and swaps.

Frank

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you're interested, send me an email or PM and let me know exactly what you want on the cards. I can probably whip something up for you that you can get printed at a local copy shop fairly cheaply (or even print at home if you tell me what template you're using).

I'm in need of a few bits/pieces for my '65 so maybe a trade will work out.

Graeme Hunt Design

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to work on it in Word today and I may be able to do what I want. I was trying to use OpenOffice at home last night and wasn't having much luck.

Thanks to all for the advice and offers. I may have a few more questions before I'm done.

Frank

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I've got it pretty much worked out and it looks great, just like I envisioned. I've got one issue that I can't figure out: I open Word, go to Labels, select Business Cards from Options, click New Document and I get the business card template. The cursor is at the top left of the first card and when I hit enter to move down a line, the whole template moves on the page. If I put the cursor in any of the other 9 cards, I can move the cursor down any number of lines I want. How can I skip to the next line in the first card?

Frank

·
Registered
393 Posts
Wish I could help you. Word (among most other Micro$oft applications) is one of the worst programs ever created, IMO.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I made my own using the label program in any word processor software. Pick out a business card number and drop a photo in the backround and some text on top of it. I always print mine of high quality gloss photo paper and cut them out on my rotary trimmer.. They look great.

If you want top quality stuff I recommend VistaPrint.com.. They just did 1000 for me for $50 shipped. Glossy too.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I was also going to recommend Vistaprint, but I have to disclaim that I do work there too. :) (But even if everyone on VMF placed a $50 order, I wouldn't get paid any more or less, so only use us if it makes sense for you.)

A few tips:
If you sign up for the Vistaprint email list, you will get 4-6 emails a week from us, but some of those discounts are pretty smoking deals, so if you can work your delete key (or better, filter your emails), then sign up and whenever you want to buy anything, you'll have a ready source of discount codes.

(Also, please don't sign up for the $10 cash back offer. It's just like those $10 checks you get in the mail after you rent a car, where cashing the check enrolls you in some program that you surely don't want to be in. Just click close on that offer that pops up after ordering.)

Note that for your original design idea, we do full color printing and grey scale printing, but if you want full color "back" and greyscale front, you have to design it the other way. (The card doesn't know the difference of course.) To get into the custom type design, you need to choose "premium" business card, but as Hiker mentioned, premium doesn't necessarily mean expensive. :) We often run deals where 250 premium business cards are under $15 including shipping, so sign up...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Crustycurmudgeon said:
Ok, I've got it pretty much worked out and it looks great, just like I envisioned. I've got one issue that I can't figure out: I open Word, go to Labels, select Business Cards from Options, click New Document and I get the business card template. The cursor is at the top left of the first card and when I hit enter to move down a line, the whole template moves on the page. If I put the cursor in any of the other 9 cards, I can move the cursor down any number of lines I want. How can I skip to the next line in the first card?

Frank
Did you get card stock already? There are templates to download from the cardstock you purchase. Avery works wayyyyyy better than the word program and is a breeze to create.

+1 for VistaPrint, they are the awesome.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Frank I know I'm a little late with my reply, but hope you'll find it useful. You've received some good replies and I think you're on the right track. I've always hated the home made business cards. I always thought they looked way cheesy. With that said, I realized it was primarily due to the card stock felt very thin and usually had the perforated edges from where they're separated.

With that said, I found some that were reasonable and were of a little better quality. They turned out to be an Avery product also! Here's what I'd suggest: Start with a graphics program and design a picture of a card you'd like. Even the most basic programs allow you add a variety of styles, colors and fonts for the lettering. You can also import or create and size an image to be placed on the card. Once you're happy with the way it looks, print of a proof of the image on a plain piece of paper. If the sizing looks good, save the image. Now open up Word and select the appropriate template size for the matching number of the Avery card sheet. Import the image onto the layout page. You won't have to resize it or do anything else with it. You can just fill the template up by repeating a copy and paste. When you print you can choose to print all or select a row/column. The whole "secret" is which Avery sheets to buy. Get their "clean edge" cards. They're a little more expensive, but the card stock is heavier and there's no perforated edges. They turn out a really nice little business card. The only downside is you can't print on the backside of them. I've been doing this for a number of years now and have never been ashamed to give out one of my cards to anyone! If you take this approach and run into any problems, please feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to help iron out any bugs!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I and SWMBO also use Vistaprint. I got really tired of handing our my REAL business cards for non work-related things; like VMF. Using Vista's basic plan I made a nice inexpensive card. I hand them out at car shows...etc. I listed my phone numbers and e-mail. For security, I did not include my home address.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I use vista print... lol then I also spend several, several hours designing a card too, but my business is art related, it has to convey a lot.

Here are some sweet business card ideas, more expensive to produce, but depending on whom your competing against...

http://www.leenks.com/gallery824.htm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts