Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice!!
My next door neighbor is an IKE ( I Know Everything). Anytime I'm out in the garage he's coming over. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, I can expect him. This is the usual chain of events.

1 He comes over and doesn't say anything until he's either right up next to me or until I happen to notice him out of the corner of my eye. (I HATE being startled like that, which I've told him)

2 He wants to know what I'm doing (I'm often tempted to say "Minding my own &#$^ing business")

3 He tells me what I'm doing/have done is "not bad, not bad" (Like I need his approval. And 'not bad'?? What's with that?)

4 He'll provide some suggestion(s), unsolicited, as to how I could have done it better or differently: "You know HONESTLY, you should have blah blah blah"

5 I'm so annoyed that the pleasure I was having doing the project is completely gone.

One of the few ways I relax has become another source of stress thanks to him. Now he is pretty much a nice guy aside from his total lack of "Guy Etiquette", so I'm trying to get the point across without getting the "I guess I'm just not welcome here" response. Unfortuantely I'm getting to the point that I hate being out in the garage and keeping the door closed is not always an option.

1969 Mach 1 390 4 spd

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't. Considered it, though. I just don't want it to become some kind of war.

1969 Mach 1 390 4 spd

·
Registered
952 Posts
Point at the broom and say "make yourself useful". If he does a good job thank him, if not .... HONESTLY bla bla bla

My 2 cents.

Layne

69-GT F Code Sportsroof
00 - Dodge Ram 1500 - My daily driver
95 - Dodge Stratus LS - SWMBO daily driver
92 - Ford Tempo GL - Daughters beast

·
Registered
664 Posts
I feel for you man. I have a neighbor that does the exact same thing. There just something about old cars that draws these people out of they're hole in the wall.

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, I thought I was the only one. Everyone wants to see what the hell I'm doing once that garage door goes up. Once they come over all progress stops because I don't want them watching and commenting. It really sucks but the only way I can keep them away is keep the garage door closed, that's a real ball sweater in Phoenix. One of my neighbors doesn't have a pot to piss in but has owned every bad ass muscle car since 1965 (yeah right). Keep going no matter how unpleasant you neighborhood brain surgeon makes it. When your done he'll have to bug someone else.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ever see the movie American Beauty, I think that was the name-had kevin spacey in it, you could just go up and give him a big kiss-hopefully that would keep him away.Might get the rest of the neighborhood talking however.You could just get him really drunk on cheap beer one night, so that when he goes home his wife gives him a real a** chewing, works when my friends come over-they usually can't come back for a while-the cheap beer thing that is.

1967 S code GT Deluxe Coupe 65B
1966 Convertible 76B 289 4 speed
1964 Fairlane 500 2DR HT-the new project
1986 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 the "beater"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1573428&a=11959254&p=43023698.jpg
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by kbstang on 03/30/01 10:04 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Upon his arrival, turn the radio up above conversation level and keep it there until his departure. It may not be subtle enough, but accompanied by a phase similar to, "I prefer music over your conversation and comments now", may thwart him enough after a few times.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's just it, it's not JUST when I'm working on the car! I can be sorting screws and the guy is popping his head over the hedge saying "What's going on?"

1969 Mach 1 390 4 spd

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that's part of why he's here. His wife always seems to be bitching at him. I am his escape. Lucky me, huh?

1969 Mach 1 390 4 spd

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Tell him the way it is......... Calmly explain that you appreciate his company and input, but the time alone in your shop is how you unwind (or something like that) from work and you can't relax with anyone around.
If that doesn't work, invite him and his wife to your next S/M party! lol!

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
View Album Here: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1616948&a=12352157

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or, Maybe you could try bitching at him more than his wife, that way, she'd be his escape.... LOL. Seriously, try telling him flat out that you enjoy his company from time to time but there's a time and place for everything. It may be worth it to offend a little to get your point across. It's your home, he shouldn't make you a prisoner in it. I know, easy to say, hard to do..... Best of luck though.

Red '67 Coupe / 289 bored-stroked to 306 / toploader 4spd / 8" Currie Ent. 3.80:1 rear / lowered front A arms / 620 lb springs / etc..
Used for drive-in nights and open track days!

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
I'd agree on the just being straight up about it. I have the same problem at times, but things always tend to work out if phrased the right way. I always go with the truth: "Ya know, I like your company and all, but I really use this time to relax and think. I'm sure you'll understand if I want to be alone?"

It is easier to say than do. But what I've found is guys like that are pretty insensitive anyway and only rarely are they even slightly offended by someone asking to be alone.

Hope it works out.

-bob

http://www.vintage-mustang.com/images/header.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If telling him the unwinding thing doesn't work, everytime he comes over, start griping about evrything under the sun. Gripe about the neighbor, work, the weather, what a horrible day you had at work. Anything, just gripe...gripe....gripe.

http://members.tripod.com/tangdar/
'67 Coupe project car (Did I say project car? I meant pile of rust)
http://www.americainter.net/~fevans/tangdar_flintstone.jpg

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
Call me over and let me check his shorts. He'll be gone in no time!

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Man I had the same problem once... The neighbor 'Joey' would always come over and say some something stupid or say what I 'should' do.... Trust me, either you have to put him to work or tell him like it is... BTW, this is the same guy who bought 5 different exhaust systems for his 88 GMC and tried to enter it in a local pre 74 car show. They laughed him off the lot! Of course he came to tell me how mad he was and I seized the opportunity and lauged at his stupid self. That was the last I saw of him!

See my 69 convertible and the VMF parking lot at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/frontside_sig01.JPG

·
Registered
391 Posts
Consider my I.K.E. of posting a sign quoting Marlene Dietrich... "I want to be alone"... Plant it right in front of the garage opening so that everyone knows it is an active request. When you are open to visitors set it out of sight.

Russ

your url here.JPG

·
Registered
35,391 Posts
IMHO, whenever you have some crappy job to do around the house involving lots of physical labor or getting really dirty, ask him to come over and help, then excuse yourself to go to the home improvement store for "supplies". When you come back, say "not bad, not bad, but I would have...." :)

'66 A-code Fastback (therapy)
'89 Town Car (SWMBO D'driver)
'87 Caprice (as req'd by Hagerty)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts