Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The long rocker moldings that attach under the doors of my '65 Mustang fastback are in surprisingly good shape, but they need cleaning/painting and I'm not sure how best to go about detailing the raw aluminum. I want to do that part of the project before I mask everything and spray a new coat of black (semi gloss?) in the "valleys" of the moldings. Any suggestions would be helpful and thanks in advance. Ron...

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
A polishing compound and a buffing wheel on a bench grinder or a handheld grinder will do the trick.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
polishing or buffing will remove the anodizing coating applied to the aluminum. It will burn through.
That's why you'd shoot 'em with clear to keep 'em looking nice.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
If there was a cheap a low quality AL alloy then the rockers are made of them, IMO. I tried Mothers and hand power then buffing wheel power.since one of my rockers was perfect but dull. Incredulously, I even tried buffing the inside of one with no luck. Made them worse eventually, bought new ones.
My advice if you want to keep them is go easy and don't expect much. Maybe something to add shine because they ain't got no mo shine inside that can be brought out.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I have two sets of originals I plan to polish. The reproduction ones are thinner (ooooooof course) and look nice when you get em. I'm thinking maybe of clear coating some of those next time.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The long rocker moldings that attach under the doors of my '65 Mustang fastback are in surprisingly good shape, but they need cleaning/painting and I'm not sure how best to go about detailing the raw aluminum.
Original moldings ain't raw aluminium, thats why they are in good shape. They are anodized, witch give the aluminium a hard and shiny surface, kind of similar to the chrome on your bumpers. If you buff the modlings heavily you will remove the protecting anodized layer and will have soft raw aluminium. I work in a company were we manufacture and anodize aluminums parts.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Here's what I've always used:

·
Registered
712 Posts
The original post mentions raw aluminum, which has been corrected in post 7, identified as anodized aluminum, a protective coating.

The original post also says that the aluminum is in need of some work. For rocker panel moldings that is usually due to road rash, which means that the anodized finish has been compromised.

If that is indeed the case, the only type of buffing that will help is one that (1) completely removes the remainder of the coating, so that it is uniform from stem to stern, and (2) removes all (or most) of the damage to the raw aluminum.

The correct/original/durable next step is to have the part bright dip anodized again. Anything else, such as a clear coat paint, would probably work for a short period of time compared to the original method, but it might be good enough for some.

You can try to do some buffing and polishing first to see what happens, but I suspect you might have already tried that, and determined that it is too damaged for that to help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts