Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m buying a bunch of NOS parts this week locally and I plan on using what I need for my projects and selling the rest. My question is are there differences in parts between the years how to I determine what year doors, hoods, trunk lids and fenders are from are there differences?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read somewhere that most panels and parts have stampings on them. I went over my 69 Mach 1 and found these on fenders, frame rails, sills, roof inner frame and many more places. An example is 10 26 C3, from memory, on a front frame rail. I understand that means it was produced on October 26th and C3 represents the factory and shift I think. Not sure if there is anything to say the year but my car is a December 68 build and most parts are stamped in November or very early December, so that makes sense to me for my build date. I’m by no means an expert. I’m sure people here know much more about it.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of us here can look at a fender, hood, door, etc and tell you which year model it is.
Awesome I’ll look for the date stamps and if I have any questions I’ll post pictures I’m still learning after all these years of building mustangs!

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
If you can find a part number, the first 2 characters may tell you the date.. C7 for example corresponds to 67. C8 is 68. D7 is 77, D8 is 78. As far as I remember, at least.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,657 Posts
Look up "Ford casting numbers", there's plenty of results that will give you basic handle on the stuff that has actual part numbers on it. For the others, just take pictures to post and ask about here. Be prepared to take more pictures when someone says "No, of the other side" or whatever. Figuring out what such things are is actually fun for many people. You could even start a thread titled "Help me identify all these Mustang parts I bought!" or something like that.

Reactions: Bernnstang

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know...I actually thought the opposite that people would be like ugh another thread about what the hell is that part!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,657 Posts
Nah, you're thinking of the "What's it worth?" threads. :)

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
If you give me a couple days, I can crank out a bunch more NOS Stuff for you. Tell me what you need, and I can make it for you.

Seriously, there is NOS, nos, Nos, etc. Some NOS is absolute garbage, made on worn out tooling, poor chroming, etc. Bumpers, parking and backup lights, SS wheel centers, were among the worst. Color of the primer tells a lot (old rust red versus black, among other things).

Labels and wraps have been duplicated for years. Labels and wraps have been moved from NOS to reproduction. Reproduction parts have been painted rust red, stickered and sold.

If you do not know what you are doing, PLEASE be very careful.

For example, when ebay was still more wild west, I sold an NOS Shelby gas cap. It came back with a nastygram as to pitting. I checked it, and yes, it was pitted. Later, I sold another NOS part to the same guy. I remembered him, and marked the part with a little paint mark, photographed it, and sent it off. It came back, "damaged" and I checked and it was not the same part. I dug around around on ebay, and found my part, on a different ID, same city. This was when you could contact other people, and BINGO, a whole bunch of people were having the same issue, and we got him boot off ebay, and I got all my money back.

I sold a pair of NOS black quarters and a door, reasonable price, to a local person who SWORE he was using them for a restoration of a K convertible for his father. Within 2 weeks, they were on Craigslist, same stickers, but the fenders were clay red, with yellow Ford numbers, and of course, a huge difference in price.

I have found used parts in NOS boxes (Maybe the mechanic was just sending back a core?)

There are clay and red, silver and blue, blue and white, red and white NOS boxes.

If you do not know what you are doing, PLEASE be very careful. Just because it is an old stash, does not mean the person who put it together knew what they were doing.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you give me a couple days, I can crank out a bunch more NOS Stuff for you. Tell me what you need, and I can make it for you.

Seriously, there is NOS, nos, Nos, etc. Some NOS is absolute garbage, made on worn out tooling, poor chroming, etc. Bumpers, parking and backup lights, SS wheel centers, were among the worst. Color of the primer tells a lot (old rust red versus black, among other things).

Labels and wraps have been duplicated for years. Labels and wraps have been moved from NOS to reproduction. Reproduction parts have been painted rust red, stickered and sold.

If you do not know what you are doing, PLEASE be very careful.

For example, when ebay was still more wild west, I sold an NOS Shelby gas cap. It came back with a nastygram as to pitting. I checked it, and yes, it was pitted. Later, I sold another NOS part to the same guy. I remembered him, and marked the part with a little paint mark, photographed it, and sent it off. It came back, "damaged" and I checked and it was not the same part. I dug around around on ebay, and found my part, on a different ID, same city. This was when you could contact other people, and BINGO, a whole bunch of people were having the same issue, and we got him boot off ebay, and I got all my money back.

I sold a pair of NOS black quarters and a door, reasonable price, to a local person who SWORE he was using them for a restoration of a K convertible for his father. Within 2 weeks, they were on Craigslist, same stickers, but the fenders were clay red, with yellow Ford numbers, and of course, a huge difference in price.

I have found used parts in NOS boxes (Maybe the mechanic was just sending back a core?)

There are clay and red, silver and blue, blue and white, red and white NOS boxes.

If you do not know what you are doing, PLEASE be very careful. Just because it is an old stash, does not mean the person who put it together knew what they were doing.
Yes I’m very aware and not sure as to the value of NOS but some people just think it’s gold...anyways it’s 3 doors 4 fenders 2 hoods and 3 trunk lids for $200 so even if they’re repro I still think a good deal! Also “tell me what you need I can make it for you”? You make repop parts?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
But to answer his question more directly----NOS --Meaning new,everything should have a package or in the case of sheet metal,a wrapper, and that will have a part number on it. Great start to knowing what it fits because the part number tells us (at least us partsman ) what it fits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts