Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is a picture of a steel tube that broke off at my exhaust manifold on my FE motor. It goes up and connects to a rubber hose that goes to the intake or carb (can’t remember). Anyway, as you can see, the tube broke off at the manifold. How do I get it out? I don’t see any fitting to unscrew or anything. I know I can just bend a new one but I’m not sure how to get the old one off or attach the new one.

·
Registered
33,994 Posts
A 1/4" drill will do the job nicely. You only have to go about 1/2" into the hole, avoiding damage to the matrix inside.

I prefer to get the pre-bent kits for such things, when possible. That'll get you both tubes, and the fiber cover for the hot tube.

·
Registered
822 Posts
A 1/4" drill will do the job nicely. You only have to go about 1/2" into the hole, avoiding damage to the matrix inside.

I prefer to get the pre-bent kits for such things, when possible.
Yup...as 22GT notes, this is what I did on my 69.....drilled it out, ordered a new pre-bent kit & good to go.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can’t order a pre-bent because this is for a 1966 Merc Monterey, haha. No repro for them as far as I know. So how do I attach a new one?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Screw in a large sheet metal screw, grab it with vise grips then hit under the pliers with a hammer. That hose is just a snub slide-in (with a flare at correct depth). Then you can use any copper tubing with a compression fitting on the other end. Not concourse but it will work.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

maybe you could adapt that one
Thanks greg! I’ll order one and see if it works. My worry is that it won’t work with an FE motor. It says it will fit a 66 T-bird but I don’t know if/how many of them came with an FE motor.

In the meantime, any other suggestions? It’s almost like there’s a flare like a ¼-½ inch from the end of the tube, basically where it broke at. But I don’t know how I would make that flare since it’s in the middle of the tube, not at the end where a normal flaring tool would work.

·
Registered
33,903 Posts
Thanks greg! I’ll order one and see if it works. My worry is that it won’t work with an FE motor. It says it will fit a 66 T-bird but I don’t know if/how many of them came with an FE motor.

In the meantime, any other suggestions? It’s almost like there’s a flare like a ¼-½ inch from the end of the tube, basically where it broke at. But I don’t know how I would make that flare since it’s in the middle of the tube, not at the end where a normal flaring tool would work.
Both engine options for the '66 Thunderbird were FE's.... 315hp 390 and 345hp 428. "Bump" on the tube isn't a flare, it's a bulge formed by pushing the tube back on itself and used as a "stop" to keep the tube from going in the hole any further.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
And it goes to the carb (by the choke). ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts