Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There must be something I am overlooking but I can not figure out how to get the steering wheel off of my '67. I removed the cap easily enough but now I have to get the horn ring off to get to the steering wheel nut. My '67 shop manual was of no help...told me to remove the cap and then remove the steering wheel nut. Well that is obvious but I can't get the @$%# horn ring off. Am I overlooking something obvious? Thanks in advance for the help.

Brad

"Gripping the wheel his knuckles went white with desire. The wheels of his Mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a 45. True death: 400 horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night. This is Black Sunshine." --White Zombie

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
to remove the horn buttton, bezel, whatever that chrome and padded thing is called... push in and rotate counter-clockwise. it's held on by 3 little plastic slots that fit into the steering wheel. turn it as far as it will go and then just pull out. there'll be a spring in there, so catch that as it comes out.

once you have that off, remove the steering wheel nut. you may need a puller to get the wheel off.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Don't feel too bad. It took the guys at Dallas Mustang Parts to show me that trick. BTW, don't forget theres a spring under there. It will probably take a little puller to get the wheel off the splines of the steering shaft.

You can see my 65 fastback at: http://hottarod.stangnet.com/
http://members.aol.com/macstang/Gifs/macstang3.jpg

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Push the middlle of the ring in hard and rotate it counter-clockwise--should come right out.

J. Boggs

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1574992&a=11972962&p=43108527.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip but since the only thing left in the engine compartment is the crossmember and motor mounts, I won't have the pleasure of meeting the neighbors. Besides, they aren't MY neighbors, they are my MOM's neighbors so I'm not worried. Although if she gets mad, I may have to find another garage to restore my Fastback in. It's either that or convince the wife we really, really need to add on to our garage....

Brad

"Gripping the wheel his knuckles went white with desire. The wheels of his Mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a 45. True death: 400 horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night. This is Black Sunshine." --White Zombie

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW - I was just doing this last night! I had some giant channel locks trying to twist the horn ring off before I realized I had to push & twist. Once I realized this it was easy. Guess it is child-proofed from people like us.

Now I need to find a puller because I cant get the wheel off!!

Mike
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
You should not have to remove horn ring to pull steering wheel if you use socket with extension unless you have non-standard wheel. If you want the horn ring off push gently down on it and rotate it one direction or other and lift it off. I had almost a goofus award by running my '68 coupe without nut on and when i accelerated the wheel came off - stopped and lost my award. after you get nut off it should come off fairly easy by just hitting underside outer edges with your palms of hands at 180 degree positions around wheel. good luck

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BillScott on 03/21/01 01:53 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts