Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully tommorow I will have my head dispute solved. But while waiting on the heads my cylinder walls have gotten some rust starting. So I am thinking I should go ahead and have the lower end rebuilt. I will need heads too. Probably a used set of afr 165's. I want as much torque as possible

currently 1978 302 block

How would you spend $2500 to get the most bang for the buck? I have the carb(edelbrock 600), intake(stealth) and dizzy, cam and lifters(xe268). I would really like to make a 347 but can't see it happening on this budget.

I have $1500cash and $1000 available on credit card.
Thanks all for helping and putting up with me.

·
7,014 Posts
Why don't you get a set of those powerheads and put them on. Rebuild the bottom end yourself with a new oil pump, new rod bolts, and new bearings. You can hone out that surface rust. No big deal. Put oil all over the cylinder walls when you're done to keep it from rusting.

You'll want a new timing chain set if you don't have one already. Of course, you'll need new rings.

Put it back together like that. Should cost less than $1000 total. Use the extra $500 to $700 to pay off some of your credit card balance.

That's what I'd do.

Phil

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phil either your joking or haven't see my post over the last few months. Powerheads is the reason I am at this point. They ported 2 exhaust ports right into the water jackets. I have been fighting to get my money back for months because they wouldn't talk with me about replacing the bad head. They have also raised there price to $999 plus your heads or a core charge. So a used set of Afr 165 would be cheaper unless I can find someone selling 1 used powerhead. I do have all the powerheads hardware.

I had considered honing the lower end and adding a new set of pistons. I have a new oil pump and timing set as well as new crank bearings.

I have found a 347 kit for under $700.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I would just recommend using the $1,500 cash on heads and parts to get it running on the road again and not add interest gaining debt on a credit card. I hate credit cards!!! X-wife fixed me on credit cards...LOL. Just remember adding performance parts is a never ending event. I spent $10K on a 88 5.0 vert and only got $5K for trade on my truck. Every time I turned around I was having to fix something due to more performance.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok How do I get this under the hood? :: ::

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/7868/imag00127dq.jpg

·
7,014 Posts
I didn't see your powerheads posts. They certainly wouldn't be worth $1000.

I think you should do what it takes to get your car running...but financing it on a credit card should be avoided like the plague.

Phil

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
$589 for a stroker kit huh?...I would hate to see you go down the same road as you did with PH.

Do some research on "Hawks" stuff....hit & miss on quality and machine work from what I have read. It's TMD's private brand which they used to source from CAT.

I'd want to know who made the rods and rings as well.

Best price does not always = best value. ;)

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
How would you spend $2500 to get the most bang for the buck?
Pay off the credit card first! ;)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mstngjoe I have went through thier last 500 sales which covers 3 months. No one has complained about quality. I also sent a message to each person that purchased 1 of them asking them about quality. About a dozen people so far 3 have answered and have said nothing but good. What other research can I do?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts