Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is at the body shop following an ugly accident. They need to move the car, but because of the alarm they can't. The valet mode on my alarm is digital and that is not very convenient for them.

So I have disconnected the alarm, but the wire from ignition lock to coil/distributor is still interrupted by the connections of the alarm. I can't reach these wires at the moment as it would be way to much unkooking of stuff....

So, how do you hotwire the car so the bodyshop can move it around a bit?

Need an answer ASAP this time...

TIA

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Irvin,
If you are standing over the engine bay on the passenger side looking down at the solenoid (little black cylindrical thing with 3 wires hooked up to it), you are half way there!

The outer 2 wires energize the ingnition, like turning on the key. The middle connection sends the juice to the starter, so.......

Get a piece of wire that is fairly stout (8 guage?) about 4-5 inches long (10-12 cm.?) and connect it to the 2 outer connections using aligator clips or by disconnectiong the existing wires and adding the "new" connections. This bridges the connections. You have now bypassed the key and the igntion is live as least as the coil/points etc. are concerned.

The center connection is activated by touching the wire you have usewd to bridge to it. If it is insulated, you must obviously remove the insulation from the point where you touch it to the center connection.

The car must be in nuetral or park as you are also bypassing all nuetral safety switches and it will take off if you aren't careful!

It will spark when you touch the center connection, but it is only 12 volts and won't hurt you , but use gloves. When you are touching the center connection with the bridge wire, it is just as if you have the key turned all the way to start. You must disengage the bridge wire to prevent the starter from continuing to spin.

Remember that connection the 2 outer wires (bridging) is like turning the key to on and touching the bridge wire to the middle connection is like turning it to start.

Good luck and if you mess anything up remember that yo have no standing to sue me in U.S. courts. To all of you in the U.S.-this should not be attempted except by trained professionals or idiots who are willing to assume all risk and see what happens.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, the disclaimer is accepted... I think you have me confused with Erwin though, another dutch mustanger and VMF member. I'm Alexander....

I have one question though, my solenoid has 4 posts. Two outer and two in the center.... Does the bridging wire touch one of those or both of those in order to actually start the car?

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
OOOOPS! Sorry Alexander!

The bridging wire should touch the connection where the wire going down to the starter (thick guage wire) is connected. Usually the one closest to the front of the car IIRC. Mine is in the shop having an engine install/rework of the drivetrain so I can't look at it.

G

·
0 Posts
If you have a fourpost soleniod run a wire from the Battery side large post to the + on the coil. This will make the igniton hot. Then jump the same big post to the little post with the S this will start the car. The First part will keep it running. If you have electric fans be careful as the engine won't be cooled.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
with your alarm system, you'll likely need to do it like clev357 said, running the wire right to the coil, since the coil wire is the one interruppted by the alarm system (although it depends on where it's interrupted ... in the engine bay or under the dash). Just bridging them at the selonoid won't work, otherwise CS_GT_red's solution would work fine.

If your alarm system grounds the coil instead of just interrupting it, you're screwed ... you get to disconnect it. Grounding it would be the much more secure way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts