Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My track car project allegedly has a "Mexican" block-based engine. Any one know how to confirm this is a real "Mexican" block?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Thicker main caps (like the HiPo), a "Hecho en Mexico" cast into the lifter valley and two knobs (or bumps) on the front of the block up towards where the heads mount. The knobs should be able to be seen without taking anything off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent pictures! There apparently IS an "Hecho en Mexico" block in the clone project.

Great stuff! Thanks!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Pictures are courtesy of Joe Doyle from a project he did back in 2003. I've been away so long I can't even remember his handle here :(

Nice block. Go fast. Enjoy :)

Pat

Ah, remember now....it's "mustangjoe" :)

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
For the ignorant, can you narrate the things we're supposed to notice in each picture?

My ignorant brain sees the Christmas tree in pic #2. Other than the highlights in pic #1 I have no clue what I'm supposed to be noticing...

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Normally the best way to I.D a Mexican block is they usually have rice and beans in the cylinder. :lol:

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
PM Joe and he can educate you. I just provided the picture space many years ago when we were using them as tutorials on the old forum. Obvious stuff I notice as a builder is the thicker main web/cap and oil pan rail areas.

I guess it was around Christmas when he sent me the pix :)

Pat

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
autoxsteve said:
For the ignorant, can you narrate the things we're supposed to notice in each picture?

My ignorant brain sees the Christmas tree in pic #2. Other than the highlights in pic #1 I have no clue what I'm supposed to be noticing...

If you're looking at the front of the block, you'll see two "knobs" just below the cylinder deck. One on each side. If the oil pan is off the block, you'll see thick main caps like on a HIPO 289 block. If the intake manifold is off, you'll see in the lifter galley a square cast in there that says "Hecho En Mexico." Also, they have unique casting numbers. The ones I've seen are "C8AM," "D1ZM," and "75YZ."

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
Haul it to the immigration office and see if it revs to 6000rpm

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
D1ZM. I decoded one this weekend at my friends house in ATlanta.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts