Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because Rat Pee smell is worse than my dread of removing the heater box on my son's 68 FB here is what I found after tackling the job.

Remove heater hoses at firewall and plug them off to save antifreeze.
1. Remove three nuts on firewall under hood.
2. Remove several small metal screws holding a/c and heater line covers.
3. Remove glove box and radio.
4. Remove bolt holding heater box beside passenger kick panel.
5. Remove bold under dash on passenger side holding heater motor.
6. Carefully pull the box out from firewall.
7. Remove wires, hoses and cables. It is a good idea to label them with masking tape to be sure and get them back where they belong.
8. If the A\C lines are long enough (mine were) you can pull the box into the floor board and very carefully remove the clips that hold the two halves together.
9. After cleaning the mouse nest out along with a dead rat, I installed a new seal kit and heater core.
10. Reverse the operation and enjoy.

Hope this helps someone.

What I wanted to establish is that a heater box can be opened up and serviced without opening the A/C lines if they are long enough. I was fortunate.

Stan

·
Registered
307 Posts
Your post will certainly help me. Now if we can only find someone with good intructions on converting the '68's A/C system to a heater only system.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I'll be following your plight. I have a 68 with a/c that I disassembled and reassembled the heater and a/c on. Mine has an annoying rattle in it so I will have to take it apart again at some point. It isn't that hard to get out, a bit harder to get back in. I would suggest taking the passenger seat and the glove box out for better room. I would also consider blowing air through the heater core to get the anti freeze out otherwise if you tilt the box funny, you will get it inside your car.

Sorry about the dead animal-you may never get the smell out-try chlorine on it.

See ya. J. Boggs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts