Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a fall through on my trailer so I got 4 new 2 x 10 x 16's. The old boards are out. I chopped the ends off. The question is how do I get my new boards inserted into the slots on the trailer? I don't have a portapower but I have friends, LOL.

G

·
I would have to see the trailer but usually you can put them in at an angle and slide them into place, you only have problems with the last board which you can shorten just enough to get it in and then bolt it into place so it doesn't move front to back.

G

·
If its like my (slightly smaller) trailer. Either the front groove or the rear groove is really not a groove but an angle iron with a piece of flat stock welded to it to hold the board ends. Grind off the welds and insert the boards. I preseume that you have intermediate fasteners (carriage bolts) alongthe length to hold the boards in place. Drive to a local welder and have the strip rewelded.

I had a friend oxy weld mine back in. Had to fight the resulting fire as he welded. MIG works beter.

My trailer is 4 x 8 feet. I replaced my 2 x 10's with 2 layers of exterior grade plywood, sealed on all surfaces before installation.

G

·
LMFAO!!!!! I just did this 3 days ago & have done it several times. FIRST measure to see if the width is correct, I have always had to rip about 3/8" off one 2X10. Second put the board in the end of the trailer. You'll need some 4X4's & a cinder block & a bottle jack. In the front get a piece of angle & chain it over the front of the 2X10. Jack it up & bow it as a friend taps the front towads the rear to keep it as far back as it will go. Then use a C clamp to push the front of the 2X10 down until it will go into the front slot. Start letting the jack down & impress your friends! My neighbor thought I was nuts(he's a 70+ yr old farmer) until he saw me do it. Works well, it takes no welding, looks good, & doesn't take long!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts