Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get the speedometer to thread back into the gauge cluster in my 65 coupe. I can get square ended speedo cable to set in place such that spinning it will make the speed indicator arm move when spun, but I can't get the big nut to thread onto the threaded shaft on the gauge cluster. It seems like the cluster is supposed to slip onto the cable one more step or something. The threaded nut is like 1mm short of reaching the threads. I've wiggled until my arms fell off, and I can't get it to go on.

What am I doing wrong? How do I install this speedo cable into the cluster?

·
Premium Member
12,166 Posts
Go underneath the car with a 7/16" wrench and remove the bolt and clamp that hold the speedometer cable in the transmission. Pull the cable and gear out of the transmission. Push the cable into the car 1 or 2 inches. Connect the cable to the back of the speedometer. Pull the cable back underneath the car and put the driven gear and cable end back into the transmission. Install the clamp and bolt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go underneath the car with a 7/16" wrench and remove the bolt and clamp that hold the speedometer cable in the transmission. Pull the cable and gear out of the transmission. Push the cable into the car 1 or 2 inches. Connect the cable to the back of the speedometer. Pull the cable back underneath the car and put the driven gear and cable end back into the transmission. Install the clamp and bolt.
Thanks. Is that how it's always supposed to be done, or just a potential solution? I'm finding it hard to see how having more slack would help my specific situation, but I'm going to flush the trans anyways, so I'll try this method while I'm down there, but I want to know why this is happening regardless.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It will work like awhtx said. I thinks its a common problem and I have had this happen before - some catch 1,2,3 and others not so easy. Small hands help too.

·
Registered
35,975 Posts
Sounds as if the cable core is not all the way into the cable. Slide the nut back, push the cable end onto the speedometer, see if the sleeve goes all the way to the housing. If not, you have your answer, and the problem is at the transmission end.

I suppose if the button on the speedo end were pressed on too far, that could be the problem, but you'll be able to see that, too.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Sounds like the actual threaded connection, at the speedometer, is the problem ? Under the car; just as the speedo cable starts down the tunnel/firewall area is a clamp holding the cable firmly to the tunnel wall. Loosen the clamp and shove 2" of cable forward. Push/pull the extra cable thru the floor and up behind the speedo cluster. That will give you enough extra to make the threaded connection behind the cluster. Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts