Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On hard acceleration (shifting manually) my AOD spends very little time in 2nd before going on into 3rd. I then manually shift into 4th (overdrive). Is there a trick to make it hold second? I went throught this same thing with my old C4, and eventually put in a '67 C4 valve body to solve the problem. It appears that with the AOD there isn't such an easy answer. Thanks!

Shane

·
Registered
981 Posts
the aod is designed with a 1,3,4 shift pattern.to make it hold in second you have to go to 3rd then back to second.the only way around this is to go with a lentech valve body.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I make it go from 3rd (position 2) back to 2nd? I'm presuming a shift back to position 1? Is there any danger of it actually going back into 1st when doing this? What is Lentech's website? I've tried several candidates (www.lentech.com, www.lentechperformance.com, etc) but none of that worked. Thanks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Shane

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have never tried this ,just seemed like a pain in the ###,This is the proper way to do it.did alot of reading up and then bought the lentech tranny.lentechautomatics.com

·
Registered
981 Posts
sorry didn't read reply clear,you have to shift to drive then bring it back to second.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, that makes sense. Will it then hold second until I shift to "D" (position 3)? How long will it hold 3rd before going into 4th if I do that? Is there also a trick to manually hold 3rd if you manually held 2nd? Thanks! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Shane

·
Registered
981 Posts
I've never tried this but I believe it will hold 2nd until you shift to drive or blow your motor .holding 3rd is another question,there again I believe you need to go to lentech they install a electric od lockout in thier trannys.I know it is not good to run a overdrive hard when in overdrive and I don't believe anyones come up with a solution for that yet

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I'll give that a try tomorrow. I looked at the Lentech website and they have some nice products. When this tranny gives out I'll definately take a hard look at their stuff. For now I guess I'll install a shift kit, shift manually (using the 1-2-D-2 trick) and hope for the best. Thanks for all of your help /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Shane

·
Registered
981 Posts
you can buy the lentech valvebody w/1234 shift and od lockout for under 400.00 and i believe that includes shipping . a good deal for the improvements you get

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How does the electronic OD lockout work? I'm assuming its similar to the AODE (button for OD on/off) but I mean physically how do you wire it? I don't see how a valve-body, which doesn't have any electrical parts, can provide for electronic overdrive delete without some other alteration. That's not a bad price, considering a Transpak will cost nearly $60 plus the hassle of putting it in and *still* haveing to do a bunch of shifting to get manual control. Probably a stupid question, but I assume the Lentech valve bodies already have a shift kit installed? Thanks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
532 Posts
I run into this problem with my ford van. Some times when towing you just need secound gear. Now on an AOD shifter you have 1 D OD. If you want to keep it out of OD[I never tow in OD] Just click it down to D, [second for you guys using vintage shifters] To get secound to stick, I put shifter in D[secound on old shifter] It will start in first, then when it goes to third, pop the shifter down to first. This will kick it down to secound. It will stay there till you get to about 15mph, when it will kick to first. Hope this helps.[Its easer to do then it sounds]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts