Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the trigger on a TKX trans for my ‘68 Mustang. I bought the close ratio, 2.87 with the .68 overdrive. I eagerly anticipated the trans delivery, but it took a while with the free shipping. Here’s what it looked like:

input shaft peeking out:

Amazing but no apparent damage after a thorough check; here is a hero shot:

:

·
Registered
303 Posts
The shell looks like it should be a bit tougher than it is, but that trans looks like it had a really rough ride on its way to you.

Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I don’t think there is a shortage for wood right now. Poor shipping practices. The almighty dollar or penny saved.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Looks like the box was opened before....for that kind of money I'd reject it. All my tremecs (3) came with the top facing up and perfectly cut dividers that support the transmission and prevent movement. You can see the cut outs in the box for the divider walls in your box.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep it had a rough ride. I tried to figure out exactly how the pieces inside were supposed to be used to hold the trans but I’m at a loss.

Amazingly there is no apparent damage. The back up light switch has no bent prongs. The harness and plug in for the electro speedometer is completely free of damage, and I see no gouges or witness marks or scratches anywhere.

$3000 bucks and they box it like this.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My t56 magnum after it was built by d and d came in more of a crate, it was in the thick cardboard but then they had like a wood structure around it. Thats crazy but cant say Im surprised. With how heavy these are imagine the type of throwing around it would take to damage a box that sturdy.....

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I don’t think there is a shortage for wood right now. Poor shipping practices. The almighty dollar or penny saved.
Ya... but have you priced wood lately?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
A few years back, I sold my toploader online. I built the shipping crate from 1/2" plywood to accommodated the trans, shifter, crossmember, mount and both upper and lower boots. It arrived at it's destination without damage. The buyer was so appreciative, he sent me a thank you email and mentioned the excellent shipping in his review.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do think these TKXs are going to decimate the T5 market in all but the stock 5.0 applications.
My TKX came in a little better shape, yours looks like it has been out and rolled over on it's side. Make sure yours is in neutral before you install, will save you a headache.
View attachment 805760
Thanks for the tip. What did you put your TKX in? Stock bellhousing, crossmember, any mods you had to make?

Im going to have to modify my input shaft as it’s going behind an FE.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I think I would take the inspection plate off the top and have a look at the innards. It appears that the box was opened and you may have someones trade in gearbox. My T56 came with packing bulkheads and the box looked almost new, after being shipped from Idaho to LA.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
A few years back, I sold my toploader online. I built the shipping crate from 1/2" plywood to accommodated the trans, shifter, crossmember, mount and both upper and lower boots. It arrived at it's destination without damage. The buyer was so appreciative, he sent me a thank you email and mentioned the excellent shipping in his review.
View attachment 805761
^^^^^ THIS I would call professional! If you have another one on sale I would buy from you anytime.

·
Registered
11,709 Posts
Looks like the box was opened before....for that kind of money I'd reject it. All my tremecs (3) came with the top facing up and perfectly cut dividers that support the transmission and prevent movement. You can see the cut outs in the box for the divider walls in your box.
+1

Whomever you bought that from had the transmission out pf the box and totally azz-clowned the repack.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I do think these TKXs are going to decimate the T5 market in all but the stock 5.0 applications.

Thanks for the tip. What did you put your TKX in? Stock bellhousing, crossmember, any mods you had to make?

Im going to have to modify my input shaft as it’s going behind an FE.
Mine went behind a 428, I used a quicktime bellhousing, I had to modify the MDL crossmember they sent me 1/4" back and 1/4" down and I used a white lightning shifter because the stock was hitting the tunnel. Why do you have to modify the input shaft, because of it being too long? Just use an adaptor MD-401-2108 or get a different bellhousing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.