Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 1964.5 could use a lil sprucing up underneath the hood. The block needs to be repainted, valve covers and air cleaner need a fresh coat also. So I figured I could take those off, mask off the carb and wiring etc, and paint the block?

Anything I should be aware of before I spend my weekend taking things apart? ;)

Heres what it looks like now. You can see why its bothering me.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/337000-337999/337928_8_full.jpg

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
That link posted helped me a lot. Here is a before and after pic http://mark.emdnet.com/images/98_65_pics/before_after_eng.jpg

I used POR 15 engine paint and brushed it on. The reason? I could pinpoint where I wanted it much easier than a spray can can. I think it turned out very nice. I get a lot of compliments on it. I used aluminum foil on the the odd shaped parts I wanted covered. If you have any specific questions PM me.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Another good idea if your memory sucks. Take pics of the engine as you tear it down. It will help you remember where everything goes and how everything hooks up. Also, mark the dizzy before you take it out so you will not be 180 degrees out when it goes back in. :eek:

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
When I was putting my car back together (nearly three years ago), I painted the engine, engine bay and all of the stuff in there. However, I stripped lots out (suspension, steering column, etc...
Pictures and labelling things you take out will help. also, lots of coffee cans for the hardware (or reinstalling after the component is removed!)...

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
It does not look that bad now..... :)

Degrease the engine before working on the rest of the bay - if you don't you end up with newly painted greasy engine components! :eek:

Aluminum foil is a good trick.

You can paint spray paint with a foam brush to get it into small nooks and crannies.

Overspray is inevitable. You can usually wipe it off with a rag dipped in thinner, otherwise use some detail brushes to touch up where you strayed..... Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I was putting my car back together (nearly three years ago), I painted the engine, engine bay and all of the stuff in there. However, I stripped lots out (suspension, steering column, etc...
Pictures and labelling things you take out will help. also, lots of coffee cans for the hardware (or reinstalling after the component is removed!)...
So your saying I shouldn't just put the parts in a trunk unlabeled like I did with my 66 coupe? :: ::

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/337000-337999/337928_23.jpg

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Hey Britton, I did exactly this with my 66 coupe last winter. Following the advice of those below it's pretty easy and cheap to do. I used Krylon for the black stuff and "Old Ford Blue" duplicolor (from Schucks) for the blue stuff. Looked great after I finished. However, 8 or so months and a couple thousand miles later, some parts aren't holding up so well. The particularly messy parts of the block and heads are chipping off in places, and some of the black is starting to wear off too. Still looks fine, but I can tell that in a couple years I'll need to do it again. I'm guessing there may be some sort of primer or other surface preparation, or maybe better paint, that will hold up better. I just degreased and painted. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts