Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the glove box door rechromed. Looks great, but what should I use to paint the "camera black" area that will stick to the chrome. How should I prepare the chrome so the paint will stay? I can bead blast the painted areas if required. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
hello.Definitely no bead blasting. :)I've had good luck with a grey sandable primer and Krylon Semi-gloss.I think that the code on it is 1613,but I'm not sure on that.Good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have had pretty good luck bead blasting crome, priming it with a good primer(rust-oleum),then painting it with a quialty paint. Just gotta remember that you only want to dull the crome not try to take it off, Mask (real good) the area not to be painted,and everything should be good. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Stick your masking tape on firmly, trim away the excess using a sharp razor, spray several light coats of Krylon 1613, semi-flat black, then peel away the tape before the final coat dries to prevent rough edges. It works great.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
A wise man one said: "it's easier to paint over chrome, than to chrome over paint"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts