Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to see a space shuttle launch before the program ends but based on what I've seen with Endeavour and many past attempts to launch, you really can't go by the scheduled launch date. What's my best bet on trying to schedule a trip around a launch? I figure if anything they won't launch early, but I really can't afford to have a month long vacation to wait for the bird to fly. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Show up the day before with an open return plane ticket.
We lucked out when we went to Disney,the reshcedule date was the day we were there.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Make more money to afford a longer vacation........ If you are more than a very short drive away, it will be hard. Figure the least amount of time they give for a launch, be that close, and hope they don't scrub it.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
You're right--it is tough. And complicating matters is that in order to get on site viewing you have to schedule far in advance or at least 3 or 4 days in advance to get on a bus that gets on site. Then if there's a delay, you're SOL.

Frank

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I think I would avoid summer and winter for the possible weather delays. I think that's about all you really can do.

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
dodgestang said:
I've seen a few....its no big deal....giant rockets, lotsa noise, spectacular at night, yadda yadda yadda. ;)
Most of us obviously are more impressed than a few. The weather seems to be the biggest problem lately. Fall or Spring best bet. Only 7 left.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I have never been up to the cape, but on a clear night, I see the candle for about 5-7 minutes down here in WPB.

Funny thing is, I did about 120 polo shirts embroidered with the STS 127 logo for some out of town people (tonight's launch was the STS 127). Suffice to say, they all got to wear the shirts, but unfortunately, never got to see the shuttle launch, since it was delayed for over a month.

Seriously though, I cannot understand why they even attempt summer launches. Weather is so darn unpredictable.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I was at this last one. It wasn't easy considering the delays. I'd suggest planning the typical Florida beach/orlando themepark vacation and heading over to the Cape area for the launch. We rented a boat for the weekend and had lots of fun and had a great spot picked out on the far eastern side of the Indian River. Though as you saw the weather didn't cooperate. We headed to Disney for a few days then just lucked out on Weds. We ended up watching it from Rotory Park in Titusville.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Move here......simple...... :p .....I've seen quite a few....the night launches are the ones you want to see. Those are awesome! There is a beach about a mile or so from the launch pad that I used to go to years ago to watch launches. That beach has since closed for launches, I guess for security. When you live here for 15 years, you become a little jaded toward launches, but with so few left ( supposedly) I will catch at least 1 or 2 more before it closes down ( supposedly)

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Try for something in the February range. Weather has been sticking us latley. The trouble with summer launches is the weather might be terrible but open a hole long enough to fire through. It might be terrible over the cape and perfect everywhere else.
Require clear weather incase a launch abort needs to happen, so they can find the landing strip at the SLF.

If I get lucky and get launch passes before the end, I'll give you a PM :)

We have a lottery for passes and I won them twice but could only go one time (was working the other) so I turned the second set back into the lotto pool. I've yet to get Turn Basin passes, those are the cat's meow and just a couple miles from the pad.

·
Registered
915 Posts
My family and I were in Orlando to visit Disney World and then on to my see my father in Indialantic (Melbourne).

It just happened that a shuttle was supposed to launch the morning we were heading to my dads, so we planned our trip to stop and watch the launch. This was when they were all landing at Edwards here in So Cal. We were going to watch launch, then be home and go watch the landing.

Well, countdown got to somewhere around 12 seconds and came to a halt. One of the 3 LOX pumps didn't come up to the required RPM for launch, so they abborted. The launch was postponed until after we came home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts