Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Mustangers who are also rock hounds out there? I saw a rock hound buddy mount small stones to polish on the end of a short dowel and then he'd polish it on the wheel. Does anybody know what sort of compound he used to attach the stone to the dowel? I can't ask him since he died in '91. It just seemed like a good way to do the small M-U-S-T-A-N-G letters without losing the piece or burning my fingers.

'67 A-Code Coupe
'68 C-Code Coupe (SWMBO's)
'86 SVO 1D
'86 SVO 2A
[email][email protected] [/Email]

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW I'm cleaning my fasteners by tumbling them in a concrete mixer with silica sand. I suppose an ice cream maker would work. It makes short work of rust and grime etc. and they come out looking great.

'67 A-Code Coupe
'86 SVO 1D
'86 SVO 2A

G

·
0 Posts
Throw 'em in your case polisher if your'e a reloader; that is like a Lyman case polisher for shining shell casings for gun re-loaders. Go with the walnut shells or something soft if it's just small surface stuff. If the pits are too big you're too late but if it's light damage you can protect them with some clear -coat or wax after the polishing and you're on your way!

http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/Images/mustang01.JPG

"Sometimes a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information."-The man with no name

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Or for less trouble, and some cash, you can pick up a brand new set from Scott Drake... They'll look better than any restoration... That's my opinion. =)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Dad and brother are the shooters but they mainly reload shotgun shells. The letters and emblems aren't pitted or scratched really, but it would be nice to find an easy way to really make them shine while they are off the car. Anybody know the compound the rock hounds use to stick their cabachons on the dowels?

'67 A-Code Coupe
'86 SVO 1D
'86 SVO 2A

G

·
0 Posts
Cant help you on the rock hound supplies, but what I have done is on your bench grinder, now every Mustanger must have one of them, and change one of the wheels to a small buffer wheel. Put the emblem pins in a vise grip and buff away. The other thing that works is use a Dremel tool with one of the buffer bits. Either one works really good. The dremel is nice cause it gets into the very tight spots.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I think the letters from Scott Drake are pretty reasonably priced and good quality. I just replaced all of mine.

http://home.mindspring.com/~thedaughertys/_uimages/M1.jpg
Now 293 ci (.030" bore) with Holley 450 and 295,000 miles
MCA #49294

1 - 7 of 7 Posts