Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am hoping to get some advice on how to restore zinc coated parts such as nuts, bolts, and brackets. I saw on YouTube were guys take bare metal parts and soak them in a chemical zinc phosphate solution and then rinse with WD40 (oil over zinc phosphate). I also saw Eastwood's zinc plating kit, but I'm not sure if either are the best choice for a quality restorations. I would like to refinish the hood latch bar, grey brackets at the top of the shock towers, and any component on the car that had these gray/zinc or bare metal type of finishes. Should I use one of the above methods, just paint them, or whats the right way to get a high quality factory refinish that will not rust?
Thanks in advance ~ Len B

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
As far as nuts and bolts I don't think it's worth it. You can buy brand new fastener kits with the correct finish and markings and it will save you loads of time and hassle. I think a complete body assembly bolt kit is usually less than $200 and they come prepackaged and marked as to what they are for. Almost all the nuts/bolts are available individually also.

For brackets and hood hinges I've been using eastwoods's spray paint. But NOT their zinc phosphate paint! That stuff is much too dark. Their master cylinder paint is a very close match to the zinc coating by my eye. I usually keep a can of Eastwoods's spray gray, detail gray, and master cylinder paint in my garage and test to see what I like and what looks correct on various items on the car as compared to what the factory had.

If you just have to have an actual zinc phosphate coating that's available through plating shops also but not worth it for me personally if I can get similar results with paint.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
coating

here is my experience. I wanted to keep the original fasteners. i spent hour and hours photographing sandblasting mixing chemicals and water heating the solution sending others sand blasted fasteners to a plater. spent more time trying to figure where the fasteners went once i got them back from the plater i should have just bought the new fasteners all properly labeled no guessing. the process for the phosphate is a messy one good luck

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
If you are trying to do a concours restoration, you might want to check out concoursmustang.com. There are a number of threads pertaining to the correct finish for various parts and other threads outlining procedures for P&O (phosphate & oil), zinc plating, dichromate, etc. if you are less concerned about using the original bolts...AMK Products.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge the AMK concourse master bolt kits are accepted by the MCA as concourse in fit and finish.

They also offer a more modern (dark cadmium?) finish that is not concourse but much more corrosion resistant for a little more money than the regular kit. The latter finish is what I got on my car and have no regrets. I can't imagine getting every nut, bolt, and washer refinished and try to sort through to figure out where they go. Even with them separated and sorted in marked bags I find myself having to shuffle them around a bit during assembly.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
I'm not doing concours but corroded fasteners or incorrect type of fasteners (hardware store type) imo sticks out like a sore thumb. I've enjoyed restoring mine. I used this method and materials to do mine. https://youtu.be/iOciisXubsk

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts