Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So don't freak out by the orientation of this in my vise. I'm still working out a way to work this thing into proper position to work with my bench... I'm trying to get it turned on it's side but wanted to snap a pic while it was pointing straight up.

So how would you go about separating the Pitman Arm from the Center Link without a pickle fork?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Do it nearly everyday. I do it on the table, you can do it in vice but turn the steering box DOWN side.
Get two BIG hammers. Put one on the side of PITMAN straight across of the ball stud, strike the other side of PITMAN_PITMAN.straight across from other hammer. This will shock the pitman, ball stud will fall out. Don't have your toes under box if you do this is the vice. Might cause pain?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a pad that I could let it crash on. 3 lb Engineer's Hammers heavy enough?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. So I haven't done anything to remove the clamp on the ball stud sleeve, I haven't removed the pin... I've done nothing to prep this other than to remove (cough*drill out*cough) the cotter pin and remove the castellated nut.

Am I ready to whack?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Maybe I'm saying it wrong and maybe I'm not sure what I'm talking about.

...so the sleeve that is clamped to the center link. Should I remove the clamp?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
The guy that invented the pickle fork should have one shoved, well you know where I’m going with this eh.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Shocking it with a hammer works well. There are pullers specific to pitman arms that will work. I’ve got one that looks like the one above and another that’s a cup style. I didn’t start using the shock method until the Mustang. It’s a great way to do it with basic tools.

Call Chock and he’ll walk you through being able to unseat it by giving it a shock with a BFH. I’ve used a 48 oz dead blow ball peen and a 4 lb engineer’s hammer on the Mustang suspension and steering.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts