Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing full rear quarters on my 65 coupe.I have run in to a problem that I need help on.The sail area just above the lead seam has lots of rust threw ,also has rust threw along the drip rail edge.Why it would rust threw here who knows.Anyway this is very thin metal and I am sure if I try to mig it will just burn threw.Also I do not want to try to lead back the seam what would you recomend to cover the seam. Thanks Darrel

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Do you plan to replace any of the metal, or just controll the rust and re-fill the seam?

It's always a good idea to replacing metal whenever practical, but if not, clean it up with Rustmort, and protect with something like Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator, then fill seam with Duraglass.

Don't use POR15 without a bonding agent or the Duraglass won't bond.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
A good, and I mean a very experienced body man, of the old school, should be able to replace your rusted metal with a mig welder. I really don't think there is a place on a Mustang that is "too thin to mig weld". Now you do have to cut back enough to get to good metal, trying to mig on rusted, weak metal will give you problems. Some times, when mig welding thin metal, you will have to put a piece of copper behind the weld, flattened copper pipe works great, to help controll burn thru. Don't worry about pin holes, as they will be filled with body filler. JMHO

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
My coupe suffered from the rust you speak of . It is a nasty repair for a Mustang , IMO .
If you do not open the area up and address the issue , expect more rust and cracked quarter panels as a result .
The Quarters will crack straight down the side of the car , right behind the rear edge of the roll-up quarter window(s) .
IMO the rust is due to improper flux neutralizing on the cars . The flux is used to bond the lead to the quarter panel/roof joint and the roof / A pillar joint .
I discovered alot of rust and surface rust in these areas , plus the damage to my drivers side inner roof structure .
I believe some of the cars did not get treated correctly going down the line and that's why it is sporadic in rust-through on different cars . Add humid environments to a car that has for all basic purposes ACID on bare metal and you will get rusted out parts .
My plans called for replacing all the rotten metal and sandblasting and treating the areas with a acid to etch out the goobly-goo and then spritz it with water to kill off the new acid .
Once I get done sandblasting the hull , it will get primered and painted all under the roof , on the framework so I never have to worry about roof rust again .
Im lucky , I found a NOS roof panel to fix my car with . Most will have to scab pieces out of wrecks .
Check my cardomain site out for pics and such of repairs to the area your fighting .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts