Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace my heater core,today i started to smell a little antifreeze and my front window got fogged up i guess it's the heater core.This is for a 70, anyone here have the process down pat.Any surprises i should expect.THANKS ::

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Surprises?

Get ready to take half the dash apart and split the two halves of the heater case apart just to get the core out.

Worst job. Would MUCH rather do bodywork now that I'm learning.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Do your self a favor and if the heater blower motor is old replace that while you have it all apart.I replaced my heater core last winter which took about 3-4 hours and put it all back together.1 month later the blower motor took a sh*t on me and I have to do it all over again to get the new motor in.If it ain't broke don't fix it in most cases but this is an exception to that rule!Have fun with the top hose as it is a pain in the *ss to get off and on.I used a tiny bit of grease to lube up the fitting to get the hose on a little easier.Good Luck!! ::

·
Registered
795 Posts
Check out Mustang Steve's FAQ's. Scroll down to the section about changing a heater core - it's not really all that hard. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just did this two weeks ago... :(

Remove the 5 nuts from the engine side of the firewall.
Disconnect the fan ground wire.
Disconnect the engine side of the heater hoses.
Remove the dash pad, the clock panel and unbolt the right side of the lower dash and the brace to the left of the heater box.
Disconnect the fan supply wire and feed it back into the engine compartment.
Disconnect the wire harness to the heater box (resistor).
Disconnect the courtesy light harness from the dash harness.
Unbolt heater box bracket from body (on right side of box).
Remove the defroster air duct (the upper one).
The heater box should now be loose.
Disconnect the two hoses from the heater core.
Open the glovebox for added room, CAREFULLY pull the right side of the lower dash toward you and slide the heater box out from under the dash. It looks like the dash will "kink" at the radio if you pull too hard...

I agree with the previous post to replace the fan. I would also replace the foam at the same time.

Hope this helps,
Joe

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i got the heater core out.Wasn't to bad not one F#$% out of the whole process.Headed to the parts store,part came in.Even give's me a chance to clean all that dust and clean up the wiring.Thanks for the step by step.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts