Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some minor work on the 289, and I'm replacing the freeze plugs and the drain plugs. I see a lot of residue and junk sitting in the water passages, near the plugs, etc. How best to clean this out? I bought some of the flexible wire 'gun cleaning' brushes to do the work. Should I use any solvents with this? Or just plain water?

And how best to make sure that none of this newly loosened junk gets into my radiator once the thing gets put back together?

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Although I do not have one (yet), many here like the Gano filter, installed in the upper hose, before the block water enters the radiator.

BTW, did you PUSH Slime to Reno????
I understood that the engine had been removed.

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you try your local auto parts store, they should have oil passage cleaning brushes. They are different lengths, and will go through all the passages. I have used Tide detergent with hot water, then rinse real good...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
if it is out of the car have it acid bathed. Radiator flush should have the proper solvents for cleaning it up. Also the home cleaner CLR comes to mind.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
My pops and me once used 30:1 phosphoric acid water dilution
after scrubbing the water passages with long brushes....

then we rinsed and repeated once more.....

this was after hot tanking.....

then one last pressure washing and the machining began...(this was on a 428 block.... it was really ugly in there and they came out quite nice) re:water passages.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts