Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a car set up for the quarter, but I only want the rolling shell to build a street car. This is a 410 Windsor with all the good stuff, runs on race gas. Has a Glide and 9" N rear with spool. Never has been on a strip, so no slips to show. I need suggestions on how to sell the drivetrain - I have a shop ready to pull it for me, after the deal is made. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Typically it's not worth near what it cost to build. I would dump the glide and the spool, try to drop the compression on the 410 and run it with a built late model overdrive behind it. And you're gonna need specifics, "the good stuff" isn't going to cut it and receipts to back it up or you're really going to take a bath on it. Local facebook drag race pages are a great place to list it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Typically it's not worth near what it cost to build. I would dump the glide and the spool, try to drop the compression on the 410 and run it with a built late model overdrive behind it. And you're gonna need specifics, "the good stuff" isn't going to cut it and receipts to back it up or you're really going to take a bath on it. Local facebook drag race pages are a great place to list it.
I actually do have more specs, this was just a general description. We have looked at your idea of using it as a street engine, but can easily see $8K to disassemble and de-tune it, so a scratch-built small block is more cost-effective.

I'll look into the idea of FB drag pages. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Gsa, my guess is that your engine could be street-ified for a heck of alot less than $ 8K. You'll want less compression, you could open the chambers on what you have, you'll want a street friendly cam,......can't imagine how you'd have more than 2K into that.........what pieces does the 410 have ? LSG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what does the motor consist of ?
Here's what I know:
Trick Flow cylinder heads modified by Killians Porting Service of Warner Robins, Georgia
Scat forged crank
Eagle H beam rods
Forged pistons
Custom ground Comp Cams solid roller
Block girdle and rocker arm girdle
MSD ignition components
Edelbrock manifold drilled for nitrous
Dominator carb

I'm told it is 13.5:1 compression.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gsa, my guess is that your engine could be street-ified for a heck of alot less than $ 8K. You'll want less compression, you could open the chambers on what you have, you'll want a street friendly cam,......can't imagine how you'd have more than 2K into that.........what pieces does the 410 have ? LSG
LSG, internals, etc. are listed in my reply to bikefreak600.

If I were doing the work myself, yes possibly the parts would run in the $2K range, depending on whether the current heads would allow decent street behavior. However, while I can and have built mostly-stock FSBs before, I would not want to make that attempt with something this highly modified, since I'm not really very familiar with high-performance internals, plus I really no longer have the space to pull the engine and work on it. So, I'm working with a reputable performance shop, and they are who gave me an off-the-cuff idea of what it could cost. For example, depending on exactly what pistons are in it, the rods may need to be changed. It just seems to me that "if" I can find the right buyer for the entire drive train, I'll be $$ ahead to just sell the whole thing and start from scratch.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,988 Posts
I just bought a car set up for the quarter, but I only want the rolling shell to build a street car. This is a 410 Windsor with all the good stuff, runs on race gas. Has a Glide and 9" N rear with spool. Never has been on a strip, so no slips to show. I need suggestions on how to sell the drivetrain - I have a shop ready to pull it for me, after the deal is made. Thoughts?

Not a flame, but what kind of price are you picking this up for if it’s only a bare shell?

Seems like the value is in the motor / trans / rear,......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not a flame, but what kind of price are you picking this up for if it’s only a bare shell?

Seems like the value is in the motor / trans / rear,......
Israel, no worries, I wouldn't expect a flame from a Super Moderator! I'm not sure I understand your question, or maybe it's just the way it's worded, but yes the value is in the drivetrain, no doubt. However, I have no interest in straight-line racing, but I did have an interest in a rust-free CA car that hasn't yet been "abused" on a track. If I sell the engine, trans, & rear, what I'm left with is a clean car with good paint, some new glass, new weatherstripping, lots of new chrome bits, a full roll cage, fuel cell, Wilwood front disks and MC, good racing seats, and harnesses if I choose to use them. As far as the price, let's just say I paid $2K less than Hagerty says the average stock #3 car sells for. Sure, it's a bit of a gamble perhaps, but if things work out I should have a cool driver for a reasonable cost. If not, well, it's not the end of the world.

Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would advertise it on Corralnet and Yellowbullet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Might try a for sale or trade angle, see if you can pick up a nice streetable swap e.g. 347/T5/limited slip. Put the two cars in the same garage and drive it home...
Thanks, I had not though of that possibility, and I can put that in the ad.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Why not keep it as mentioned? You can get race gas in barrels to fill it up.

People run all kinds of crazy engines on the street. The rear end could use a better gearing, maybe 3.55 or 3.70, but you can swap a diff out ina few hours.

The trans swap is going to be the biggest hassle and even that is made simple with companies like moderndriveline and American powertrain.

Lots of people on here have motors the same or more extreme then you've listed and drive them on the street.

Just my .02

1 - 20 of 23 Posts