Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the front end on my '65 - I just drilled the holes for the Arning UCA drop.
The problem is my UCA and spindle are off the car, and I can't knock them apart - can't hold it and get a good lick with a hammer.
The pitman arm puller I have is too large to catch on the spindle to work.

Is there a good tool out there that will help? As soon as I clean up the shock tower, I would like to reassemble everything.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Can you put the spindle in a vise to hold it so that you can get a BFH to it? A few good smacks on the spindle where the ball joint come through should get them separated.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to try that tomorrow - it just looks like it is hard to get a good lick with a BFH -I was using a stonemason/blacksmith hammer (4 lbs or so).
The LCA came off easily while still on the car, then I didn't have anything to hold the UCA once it came off.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
They make ball joint separators so the forks have just the right amount of spacing to get around a ball joint. Like 68Efi said, smack the spindle around the ball joint, that seems to help a good bit too. It might be easier if your just temporarily installed the arm back on the car. Good Luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Just did this on my '68.

As noted by 68EFIvet put the UCA in a big vise holding and take two hammers and whack the mounting area of the spindle for the pin on each side simultaneously. 3-4 whacks dropped mine right out...

No vise, mount it back on the car. If you can't do that... not sure... :shrug:

·
Registered
166 Posts
65fast said:
They make ball joint separators so the forks have just the right amount of spacing to get around a ball joint.:thumbsup:
They're called "Pickle Forks".
In my area you can get a set with 3 different sizes for $9.99.
They work great and IMO are a good investment.

Good luck... Bruce

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Cobra6 said:
I am going to try that tomorrow - it just looks like it is hard to get a good lick with a BFH -I was using a stonemason/blacksmith hammer (4 lbs or so).
The LCA came off easily while still on the car, then I didn't have anything to hold the UCA once it came off.
Use the 4 pounder as a backing and strike the oposite side hard with a smaller hammer, in theory the shaft should free up. Imagine squeezing the spindle so the tapered shaft comes out.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it - I will make one of these this afternoon
(Non-Destructive Ball Joint Removal Tool)

After two nights with a 4 lb. hammer, it is time to try something else.

Thanks

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Just go to your local Autozone and borrow one of the jaw type separators. What they call the tie-rod separators actually fit better than the ball joint separators.

It's the one in the bottom left of this picture (they can be bought for about $10 at harbor freight):
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/92800-92899/92882.gif

Should take about 2 minutes and pretty much zero effort to separate them ... right tool for the right job sort of thing.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
They make Pitman arm pullers with adjustable arms. One of the best tools I have. Got it for $40 off ebay.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Johnpro -
I guess I am going to HF - I made the Mustang Steve FAQ separator and bent two 1/2" bolts trying to work it. After three nights with a BFH and the other, I have got to move ahead.

I knew this one was going to be tough, when I hit it on the car, the LCA joint came loose because I hit the UCA so hard.
Remember, I have 235 lbs of meat to put into it plus the temper...............

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I knew better.......
Went to HF and bought a pitman arm puller with adjustable arms - got it set right - thought the thing was breaking loose - but one of the arms on the puller split into two pieces.

I ready to see how much I will have to pay for a new spindle - or take it to a machine shop and get it separated.

If I didn't have to get new wheels and tires, I would go ahead and get new spindles for a disc brake upgrade.

·
Registered
704 Posts
When I used the separator on Mustang Steve's site, I still had to whack the spindle with the big hammer after I put tension on the separator.

If you already tried that, you have one stubborn spindle... :shrug:

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
silversport said:
When I used the separator on Mustang Steve's site, I still had to whack the spindle with the big hammer after I put tension on the separator.

If you already tried that, you have one stubborn spindle... :shrug:
Yep - tried that...
looks like it was just luck of the draw for me to get the 1 in 1000 that won't come apart.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GT_SCODE said:
Get the one John pointed out. Tighten it up squarely, let it sit a few minutes, tighten a little more, don't over tighten, it will just pop.
Found the one Johnpro pointed out - local HF didn't have it, neither did O'Reilly's, Advance, NAPA could get one in a day or two. Believe it or not, Autozone had one in stock for $12.99.

I am shooting some penetrating oil in the joint, putting on the puller, tighten it up, then come back after supper and tighten it up some more.
Wish me luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts