Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A continuation from yesterdays fun and games...

The instructions say to bring the engine to TDC on a compression stroke. How do you know if it is a compression stroke?

Next, when I'm dropping the dizzy back in, it says to make sure the rotor is pointing at the first cylinder in the firing order. How can you tell which cylinder it is pointing at with the cap off? Or am I completely misunderstanding the instructions?

I ask, because now my car won't start. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
214 Posts
the mark on the balancer will be exactly under the timing coverpointer. If you didnt remove the dizzy once you started to turn the engine over the rotor will point exactly at number one on the cap. If you installed the dizz a tooth off then it might point little off so you know to reset it. NOTE the mark on the balancer will point at the same place when its 180 degrees out meaning the rotor will be pointing opposite of number one on the cap. if its pointing opposite then just turn the engine over one more time ti bring it back to number commpression or TDC(top Dead Center0 that means the number one piston is all the way up ready to fire

·
Registered
214 Posts
I know this is alot of info, i installed a petronix dizz in mine if you would feel better to talk in person I would be glad to give you my number. I'm in Cincinnati so its long distance

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're a real pal! I'm still at work fixing the issues that pay the bills caused by my other issues. =)

PM me your #, and your hours of operation (I'm in Central time, don't forget).

I printed off that link GT_SCODE posted, so if that doesn't get me rolling then you might hear from me!

·
Registered
214 Posts
its 5:30 pm I dont care how late it is, i know how frustrating it can be, I imagine you were dreaming about how to get it running last night

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
A simple trick is to take a two inch piece of uncolor masking tape and run it along the circumference of the distributor, just below the opening for the cap and under the number one terminal on the cap. Take a pen and draw a straight line across the tape, centered beneath the number one terminal. Now, when you remove the cap you will still have a reference point for lining up the rotor. If you think you will be removing the dist multiple times, a dot of fingernail polish on the side of the dist. accomplishes the same purpose and is more permanent.

Remember that the dist. gears are angled - for the lack of the correct term. What this means is that as the dizzy gear meshes with the drive gear onthe cam, it will spin the dist. shaft about a half inch of travel at the tip of the rotor. This means that instead of pointing the rotor directly at the marked line, point it about a half of an inch counterclockwise ahead of the line. When you set the dist. it should rotate the shaft to line the rotor up with the line.

For determine whether TDC for number one is the compression or intake stroke, I find the easiset is to pull the valve cover and watch the valve action. the strokes are, in order, firing stroke with both valves shut, then the piston comes up as the exhaust valve opens for the exhaust stroke, then the piston goes down with the intake valve open for the intake stroke, then both valves are closed as the piston travels up for the compression stroke. At TDC at this point, the dizzy is pointing at #1 on the dist. cap. So, piston TDC after the intake valve has cycled open and shut, provides you TDC with the dist. rotor pointing to the number 1 terminal on the cap. ok folks, did I get this right?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Easiest way to find TDC of the compression stroke is to remove the no. 1 plug. Stick your thumb in the hole and bump the engine until you feel and hear the rush of air past your thumb (hint: a remote starter switch is your friend here, and costs about $8 at your local parts store). This means you're on the compression stroke. Now rotate the engine by hand until you get your point pointing to about 6 degrees BTDC (TDC is too late, and the engine will not start).

I use a sharpie to make a small mark on the distributor right under the post for the number one plug wire. Then take the distributor cap off, and make a mark on the top part of the distributor (again with the sharpie), so it's easier to see as from the top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts