Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the driver door on my 68 coupe. Friends tell me to look for an original door for qualit reasons. Living on the east coast I'm worried about rust issues on anything sitting outside (or inside for that matter).

So, what issues should I look for when I find an original door? Where will the rust typical hide? Is there a spot on the door that typically gets stressed?

Side question, who makes the best quality aftermarket doors for Mustangs?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I would have your door media blasted first, then determine if a replacement is needed. Original doors fit better. Once media blasted each area can be repaired properly.

If you do get new doors, modify them to fit, not the fender or qtr panel. They usually lack the curve in the lower rear section of the door.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
The drain on the bottom latch end gets plugged so water doesn't drain. Crud and small leaves collects on the bottom (gets in when the window is down) and holds moisture and clogs the drain. The front and rear corner of the outside skin is usually the first to show. The inside corners also are rusted at the same time. In general the whole folded over door skin at the bottom can be felt getting thick as rust developes. Similar to tronk lid edge by the molding.

There are a few regions you may find a good original door or other body sheetmetal. Arizona, Oklahoma, most of California, northern Texas etc. as you probably know. Looking near where you (and I) live is futil except on the chance that a 68 Mustang recently came here and was wrecked so parts are availible.

A good repro door is about $300 plus shipping. Based on that a good used original with very slight rust wouldn't be too bad a deal at $200.

Good doors are very hard to find...be prepared to spend time researching. The doors on my 68 vert look good, even on the bottom and inside bottom. If my car was being media stripped for full resto the outer corners of my doors need work, could develope into $100s of work!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Since you're in VA try VAmustang (chris stage) When I was at his place a few weeks ago he had a rack of doors-I think most were 65-68 and a few 69s, and he has good prices/knowledge. Watch for rust where they mentioned above and around hinges/striker bolt for cracking. Also Charlotte Auto Fair is next week- If you've never been- Holy Shi*- you should see it. You will NOT see it all in 1 day- My gps tells me we usually walk 12-14 miles (and thats the infield/ and outside the back gate-NOT including the track/pit road/auction).

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Even here in Texas really good doors are hard to find. By the time the cars were 5 years old they were already rusting pretty badly on cars that sat outside.

IMO if the inner grained part is rusted through or there are rust bubbles all down the lower seam then don't even bother.

I bought a whole car partly for the doors.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Have you considered posting an ad in the Wanted section? I'm a newbie and I know this isn't the right section.I'm in N.Y. I know shipping is a hassle(I also like to look at stuff first hand) but I have two 67-68 drivers doors that are taking up some much needed space in my basement,these probably haven't been on a car in 30 years.I'd pounce on an offer of $200 for one.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I got a dynacorn door for my 66 and was very happy with fit. I ordered another door that was not Dyancorn and was disappointed and sending back and will get another Dynacorn. Right now CJ Pony is having 15% off and there is no charge for shipping but door they keep in stock is not Dynacorn but from another company. They can special orer the Dyancorn a little more but with free shipping still a good deal.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, thanks for all the reply's. Ya'll are great, and I really appreciate the help.

66 - You have a PM.

DZ - I actually bought the car at the Charlotte autofair just last year. Took me 4 hours to walk 3/4 the way around the infield only looking at 60's Mustangs. Test drove a 78 Porsche 911 and hated the dump truck like clutch. Just about rolled that car back into the tunnel support beams trying to leave the track on the north side! Test drove the car in my sig and bought it on the spot.

Palerider - Thanks for the heads up. I'll give CJ a call this afternoon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts