Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any quick way to tell if a car has a 9" or 8" rear...??It is a 1970 Mach 1 4 spd (not mine) there are no tags on the pumpkin...

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The bottom nut holding the pumpkin in isnt accessible with a socket/extension....youd have to use a combination wrench or maybe a crowsfoot.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I fit is the original rear, it's a 9". Thats the only way they came. From the rear of the axle assembly it should bulge verticly left of center, where the ring gear is.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Cool picture horseplay! ::

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
someone told me that if it bolts from the rear of the car it is a 9" and if the bolts are located towards the front of the car it is an 8" but I am seeing that is not the case, he didnt seem too sure and was a chevy man :eek:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
someone told me that if it bolts from the rear of the car it is a 9" and if the bolts are located towards the front of the car it is an 8" but I am seeing that is not the case, he didnt seem too sure and was a chevy man :eek:
:eek: Never trust a Chebby guy... All 8 and 9 inch rears have removable carriers--that is, the gear set is bolted to the front of the axle (towards the engine) and comes out as a unit. The easiest way to tell is the the bulge at the right rear = 9inch. Also, 9inch rears have a collar that fits over where the u-joint attaches to the rear end. The pictures tell more than any words can describe. Also, as was mentioned, with that engine, all came from the factory with a 9" rear. It would have been unlikely to convert over to an 8"
Daniel
Daniel

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the help as usual guys...im sure it probably wasnt changed but I am going to check today with all me new info

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts