Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just finished the bodywork on my 65 coupe and I wanted to try spraying it with primer just to get a feel for using a spray gun before deciding on whether or not to spray the base coat myself or send it off to a professional. What gun, primer, sanding grit would you guys recommend ? I'm hoping to order all the items/materials this week and spray next week. I would appreciate any responses

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
I would strongly encourage you to do a lot of reading and research. It’s a bit more involved and a lot will depend on how it has been prep thus far. You will get a lot of opinions on what products work best, but it’s kind of like beer or motor oil. Budget will also play a part, especially in equipment. Size of compressor is another factor.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
- A professional will almost never paint over someone else's body work. Maaco is one exception, but results vary a great deal with that option

- Did you put filler over the primer, or apply filler to bare metal? Either will work, but if you put filler over primer, you should use the same primer again

- Did you block the car? If not, you really need to block the car before you even consider shooting on base coat. Two blocking sessions are usually adequate, but if the metal if pretty rough, you will have to block more

- In case I haven't suggested this already, I STRONGLY recommend watching the "Paintucation" videos by Kevin Tetz. They are now online. There are fees, but they are worth every penny. Those videos allowed me to replace rusted metal, get the body straight and do a very nice paint job.

Have fun!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Like Klutch said, view the Kevin Tetz videos many, many times.
Also, search on here for older posts that cover many of the aspects of bodywork and painting.
And when you're overwhelmed, come here and ask a question.
I've been down that very long bodywork and paint road, so I understand where you're at.
We want you to get your car finished and looking good just as much as you do.

·
Super Moderator
9,744 Posts
As Klutch mentioned, most painters will be hesitant to spray over bodywork / primer that’s not theirs. They can’t guarantee their work over the prep work of another that they no Nothing about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts