Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

what is your experience in storing engine parts like manifolds, heads, carb etc. Most is cast iron and will rust quickly. I was thinking in soaking it with WD-40 (non aerosol) to keep the water away and put it into a thick plastic bag.

What is your best practice? I want to avoid everything is rusted or corroded after a couple of years.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Gibbs-Brand-Lubricant-2-12oz-cans/dp/B00AFJXIJQ

I spray most iron stuff with this. I also save those little silica packs that come in everything these days and throw a bunch of them in the box that I stick stuff in. As far as plastic bags, they can be good, but I'd never do a large part like a block in them because I've seen stuff pulled out later that had rust, no way for me to get all the moisture out when tying it up. I do live by the beach, if you were in Arizona or someplace dry I don't see an issue with that, just not for me. Cranks or other stuff with machined surfaces I spray those with Cosmoline or some version of it. I have covered stuff with WD40 and stuck it in those old school paper bags that you cant get anymore and then put that in a box, was still good years later. That was inland and dryer though.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I will use a Bostik product called TopCote. I believe they have replaced it with one called Glidecoat. It's not cheap, but it protects bare metal surfaces from rust. It's primary use is to protect and seal metal tabletops on machine tools. I've used it for 20 years on drill presses, table saws, band saws and more, but have found that it works great on automotive parts when they get stored for any length of time. I will generally put them in plastic and always place them in a box.

Attachments

Reactions: Mustang4SF

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in the bay area, so high humidity or rain is not a big issue most of the time.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
How close are you to the water in the Bay Area. Coastal communities can be overcast and moist, which mixed with the salt spray can quickly attack untreated metal surfaces.

Reactions: Mustang4SF

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
CRC makes a product called “Engine Stor” Thats how they spell it..Excellent stuff and not expensive..I know Advanced Auto carries it..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts