Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you tell the difference between a fake 1965/1966 shelby and a real shelby GT350. There is this kid in my dorm that has been promised his grandfather's or father's GT350 if he gets good grades. This is a NICE car. I don't really care because I have my car and I like it, but it just kind of makes me sick. I've worked hard for my car, but at least I appreciate it. Sorry, I shouldn't be complaining...

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
There will allways be kids like that, and as you get older adults the same. You will go through life learning to appreciate what you have worked for and they will not. When you add it up in the long run you will be ahead of them. It may not seem that way now but trust me on this one.

Mark

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm no expert, but I know of a few characteristics. Shelby's had their own factory tag in addition to the Ford VIN/warranty tag. It should definately have a K as the fifth digit in the VIN. On 65s the upper control arms will be mounted in holes 1 inch below the stock holes. Also, all Shelbys are in the Shelby registry, but someone else will have to advise you on how one would check that.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ypu can buy those shelby tags that go in the engine compartment. Same with the 1'' drop.

One thing you cant legally fake is the K in the VIN. Grantid, he could have a K-code mustang that he turned into a clone, but what a waste of a K-code that would be.

·
Registered
437 Posts
This is no way to tell the difference between a well done fake and real shelby except to contact Howard Pardee who does the registration for the early shelbys (65-66) you will need to give him the Ford vin and the Shelby vin.

You can rule it out, however, as being a real if the assembly plant code is not an "R", and the engine code is not a "K".

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
little things, like the antenna is on the back fender instead of the front, checking the serial number... plus what those guys mentione. Besides what else are ya gonna do with your car, cant take it with you, might as well give it to your kid

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes thats correct, sorry, I was only thinking of the 67/68. But same principle, find something uniques and look for it. even if it is a fake, then at least they took the time to get it right

·
Registered
61 Posts
I sold a '68 GT500 with Antenna on Drivers Rear Qtr. I have a '67 GT500 with Antenna on Right Front Fender and I have a 1967 GT350 with Antenna on Right REAR qtr ! That is really a poor rule for judging a Shelby.

First Which year Shelby?

Each has it own details.
For a 1967 for example it is rare to see in a clone the following.....

1) Rollbar with Shoulder harnesses
The harnesses cost a lot. A set went for $ 2550.00 last week on ..pretty pricey for a clone...

2) Instrument cluster - They have a 140mph spedo & 8K tach (Note: in gone in 60 seconds it was a 120mph speedo!...CLONE!!) Cost around $ 1500.00 on , when available...

3) Steering Wheels - The Wood Wheels are bring in over $ 3000 on as of last week.

So with the parts described in 1-3 that would cost over $ 8000 to get inside the car parts..Plus the Engine is a subject on its own.

These 1-3 items would apply to GT350 & GT500 cars.

There are also many motor parts that may have been changed BUT If the car has the rare parts, it does help make it more likely that it is a Shelby.

Then after all of that the VIN..
It can be verified with SAAC

..Check out the NEW Shelby Forum!

www.shelbyforum.com

or direct...

http://www.shelbyforum.com/phpBB2/index.php

We can discuss these questions as far as you want to go...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts