Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally found a T5 service manual on D&D performance's website, but now I'd like to find out what the deal is with this transmission. I'm fairly sure it's a WC T5, since what it's leaking smells like ATF. :lol: I have yet to find the ID tag, but seem to remember that WC units used torx bolts and NWC used regular bolts...or something like that?? What are some good indicators of a WC unit that I can see with it in the car?

Thanks
--Kyle
PS: Also not sure if it's a V8 or 4cyl unit but I guess there is no way to tell without the tag or until we take it apart?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
the easiest way is the bolt on the middle top dr side of the unit. If it's a torquex bit, it's a wc. if it's a hex...6 sided bolt then it's a non world class t5.

the input shaft for a v8 trans is quite a bit larger than the 4 cyl input shaft. buy a v8 pilot bearing, you'll need one anyhow, and when you go look at trannies, slip it over the input. should slide right on. if it slips on and has loose, then it's a 4 banger trans.

The 4 banger trans has a 3.95 to 1 first gear vs 3.35 to 1 on the v8 trans...so you could put it in first and check that too by spinning the input

1 - 2 of 2 Posts