Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what power steering unit here is the 6 or 8 cylinder one? I think it's the darker unit, but not sure? I need to restore one of the units for the V8 car I have and both came with it. I want to say that the 5th pictures down tells me that is the 8 cylinder unit? The car was originally a 6 cylinder car, but is all changed over by PO. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
It's a 6 cyl unit. The key is the control valve is mounted to a small shaft that is bolted to the center shaft. On the V8, the center shaft screws directly into the valve body. Talk to Chock, he is the expert here and can help you get set up with the proper parts.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 6 cyl unit. The key is the control valve is mounted to a small shaft that is bolted to the center shaft. On the V8, the center shaft screws directly into the valve body. Talk to Chock, he is the expert here and can help you get set up with the proper parts.
So you think the one in the 5th picture down is the 6?

I don't know why the pictures came out in a different order, but there are two different units there. I was thinking the darker painted one was the 6, but this is why I'm asking.

·
Registered
35,306 Posts
This is 6 cylinder:

This is V8:

At least the I6 valve has the band clamp on the tubes. Make sure you have one when you are done, too.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The black one is the V8, the brown one is the 6 cyl. In the pic 22GT quoted you can see how the 6 cyl uses the 2 piece center shaft. The clamp he refers to is critical as well. If it isn't installed the hoses will flex and begin to leak.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information on them guys! I will remember to put the clamp on the unit too (good information to know!)

Now to sell the 6 cyl one and buy a rebuild kit for the other.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Some of the original Ford units came with a special factory style clamp, but others came with a simple worm clamp like on the 6 cyl unit you have. When rebuilding most people just use the worm clamp. It's cheap, simple and easy to use.

Chock sells all the rebuild parts you need and will give you great support through the rebuild.

Reactions: Stevea

·
Registered
35,306 Posts
David, are you teasing about this? That's something someone added isn't it?
As said above, the clamp is factory-installed, and vital. You hear a lot of whining about "Ford PS leaks". Then you look under the car, and no band clamp. The one in the photo is a cheap hose clamp, but it'll do unless you are going to shows. Then you need this:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Not to derail this thread, but am I reading this right that all power steering valves are supposed to have a clamp on them? My car hasn't had one as long as I've had it, now I'm wondering if I'm missing something and I should run out and add it.

Now that I look I do see the shop manual lists:
3. Remove the clamp retaining the hose tubes to the control valve
under the PS Pump to Control Valve Hose removal section, and mentions it again for installation.

If we're all supposed to have that clamp, what else have I been missing?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts