Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to do a search, but nothing came up. I'm sure it's been posted before, but how do I test my car to see if it has traction controll. I had the rear of my car in the air and I spun one tire. Which direction is the other tire supposed to be going if I have an open differential? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Best way I know of is to put it into gear, press the brake, and floor the gas pedal... Two tracks is "trac-loc" and one track is "peg leg." =)

·
Registered
236 Posts
The other tire will spin in the opposite direction if you have an open diff. If you have posi both should spin in the same direction, unless the clutches are messed up only one will spin.
TOM

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Tom is trying to say if the entire rear of the car is in the air and one tire is spun, the other will spin the same direction if it has a posi.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
If you jack up the left rear tire a little off the ground, it should be difficult to spin if you have a posi. They have a breakaway torque specification (I can't recall exact figure--xxft-lbs???), but should not spin freely unless open.
Daniel

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
If you jack up the left rear tire a little off the ground, it should be difficult to spin if you have a posi. They have a breakaway torque specification (I can't recall exact figure--xxft-lbs???), but should not spin freely unless open.
Daniel
If you do this, make sure:
1) Front tires are chocked so car doesn't roll
2) car isn't in gear
3) Parking brake isn't on
4) Tire is actually off the ground ;)
Daniel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts