Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the long shaft steering box/shaft in my 67. I purchased a 69 steering box and am now looking to replace the stock column. What would be the best choice for the column? I'm thinking a 68 collapsable, but would a 69 or 70 column work too? Where is the ignition switch on the 69 and 70 mustangs...on the column? Is there anything else I should be aware of with this swap? I'd like to go with a tilt column, but they seem pretty pricey.

Thanks for any help.
Scott

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
68 and 69 will work good. 1970's and up won't. You can use one from a 68 or 69 Cougar as well.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a 69 column for sale, but the guy says it won't attach to the firewall/dash the same as a 67. Would it be difficult to modify the 69 column to make it fit in my 67?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I honestly don't know this, it is just a suggestion.
Could you take the shaft/internals from the 69 and use them with the 67 tube, so there would be no problems with it bolting up?
Also, I seem to remember hearing that Ford switched to the collapsible column during the 67 model year, so maybe you could find a "newer" 67 column instead.
Just a thought or two.
Russ

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The 1969 tilt columns are supposed to fit into the 67/68 cars, but not the 70's. So I would figure that the non-tilt columns would too. The columns don't really "attach" to the firewall at all. They attach to the steering gear at the rag joint. The collar around the column at the firewall just keeps wind noise and water out. It can be removed and placed around ANY column you put in. The collar that mounts the column under the dash just wraps around the column tube too. It aseems like if you just used the 1968 attachment brackets on the 69 column it would fit fine. These non-tilt columns are cheap. I recently just threw one out. So it might be worth just trying it because I am fairly confident it should work unless someone else with first hand experience speaks up and explains why it won't.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone ever put a 69 non-tilt column in a 67 or 68 mustang? If so, any problems/suggestions?

·
Registered
78 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the 68 and up columns were collapsible, which made them bigger around than the 67 tubes.
The 68 and up brake pedals were offset more than the 67's to account for the bigger tube.
So, I think if you switch to a 68 column, you would also need a 68 brake pedal.
Anyone else confirm this?

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,577 Posts
When I bought my car ('67), it had a collapsable '68-'69 partially functioning tilt column in it. I replaced that column with a fully functioning '67 tilt column and there were no fittment issues or clearance issues that I recall. It was a bolt in operation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts