Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all, my 67 ford shop manual is WRONG about how to wire the alternator, it has the pinout on the alternator harness plug all mixed around, both wire wise and color wise. I verified the ground wire to make sure.

Anyways, it looks like a PO wired my alternator wrong, and I also mixed up some stuff now that im trying to put together.

First thing, i found some kind of regulator or something by the starter relay with only 1 wire attached and 5 empty blade pins, not sure where that wire went either because i think i undid it. It looks about like a relay with some blades sticking out the bottom in a strange pattern. Is this thing needed or was it some PO stupidity? I cant find it in the shop manual.

Next thing, how do i wire my alternator now? I got the ground figured out (easy). I need to go figure out where to wire the:
positive 12v battery connection
big black wire (looks to be around 8 guage) on the alt. harness
small white wire on alt harness.

I found the BAT, STA and FLD markings on the alternator, so please reference these.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
952 Posts
I had this problem Friday. The larger black wire will only fit on the bat connection. You will notice its bolt is larger also. The white wire should go to fld and the grd which is black with a red strip goes to grd. Kragen counter guy showed me a pic showing the blk/red going to the sta but after using up the battery I determined that must have been wrong. I believe the sta is used for testing only

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,212 Posts
The STA post is supposed to be unused if your car has an ammeter instead of a BAT (or GEN?) light. After moving my battery/solenoid/regulator to the trunk, the alternator wouldn't charge. After much wire rechecking and hair pulling, I decided to add the missing stator wire as per the diagram for a later model car. Presto, it works. It's not supposed to and no one seems to know why. EEESH.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts