Vintage Mustang Forums banner

how wire Engine Bay push button starter ?

521 16
Hello everyone, I would need advice on wiring a push button to start my engine from the engine bay.

I would actually like to keep my neiman with the key to put it in the start position, and start the engine starter from a push button.
How do you wire it?

Thanks from france (sorry for my bad english)
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
960 Posts
This is very easy to do. In the 80s I experimented with several solid lifter cam engines and was constantly adjusting valves and got tired of my remote start switch/wiring (GM starters so no solenoid on the fender). Installed an applicable momentary on switch under the hood to easily bump the engine over - or start if you had the key in the on position.

First question is vehicle specifics?
Second would be if an automatic or stick/clutch? My specific vehicle was an automatic at the time and my switch was easily configured to function only if in park. With a stick/clutch - not so easy/safe..

·
Registered
344 Posts
I would suggest wiring as below. This allows the starter button to only work when
  1. the key switch is in RUN position, and
  2. the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) is closed (out-of-gear).
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
43,954 Posts
Ok if i understand i'll just to connect my button betwen the + battery of the selenoid to the S of the selenoid ? (very simple in fact ??)
Back in the "old days" it was common to have a remote starter switch which was simply a push button switch with a couple leads and alligator clips on the ends.... commonly used to "bump" the engine over when doing such things as points adjustment, valve adjustment, etc. I remember my friend having a Chevy K-20 pickup in the shop for a tune up... typical Chevy 4x4... 350, manual trans with a "granny" low, and a plow frame. Hooked up that remote starter and gave it a push. Yep, key was "on". That sucker fired up and took off. Good thing he was standing off to the side. Took his rollaway right through the concrete block back wall and wanted to keep right on going had he not been able to reach in and turn the key.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Yes, very simple.
The question is do you “just” want to use the switch to “start” the engine? If so then follow post #7/W427s schematic. With key on and you press your switch the engine can start. With key off your switch does nothing.

If you want to be able to rotate the engine however “not start it” as well? Then follow post #4/Mach1s schematic however attach to the left side of the neutral safety switch (like post #7) so it’s actually functioning etc. The difference here is if you want to start the car place your key in the run position and hit your switch. But with the key off you can turn the motor over without starting.

**Do you have a functioning NSS - neutral safety switch?

·
Registered
43,954 Posts
Yes, very simple.
The question is do you “just” want to use the switch to “start” the engine? If so then follow post #7/W427s schematic. With key on and you press your switch the engine can start. With key off your switch does nothing.

If you want to be able to rotate the engine however “not start it” as well? Then follow post #4/Mach1s schematic however attach to the left side of the neutral safety switch (like post #7) so it’s actually functioning etc. The difference here is if you want to start the car place your key in the run position and hit your switch. But with the key off you can turn the motor over without starting.

**Do you have a functioning NSS - neutral safety switch?
Actually, unless you disconnect the "I" wire from the solenoid or ground the coil wire, EITHER installation is going to allow the engine to START, provided there is fuel. Will it continue to RUN once you pull your thumb off the switch will be determined by which way you wire it.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Actually, unless you disconnect the "I" wire from the solenoid or ground the coil wire, EITHER installation is going to allow the engine to START, provided there is fuel. Will it continue to RUN once you pull your thumb off the switch will be determined by which way you wire it.
Yep - very true Sir - missed that. And now that I’ve looked again, if activating the starter through the solenoid it doesn’t appear, as depicted, there would be a way to “not have power” to the coil without further electronics. Possibly a relay on the “I” wire that would allow continuity only when the key is in the ON position. But that brings in other possible concerns.. 😜

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Ok if i understand i'll just to connect my button betwen the + battery of the selenoid to the S of the selenoid ? (very simple in fact ??)
Yes that will crank the engine and apply power to the coil through solenoid terminal I. However, unless the key is ON, the engine will stop as soon as the button is released.
These cars can literally be stolen in less than 60 seconds by first connecting a jumper from the battery + terminal to the coil +, then shorting a screwdriver from the front solenoid + terminal to the solenoid S terminal. That will run the coil at 12v, and will allow the car to be moved to another location where they can take their time to change the ignition switch lock cylinder, and the coil can be run normally at 9v.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,710 Posts
They make ford style solenoids with manual start buttons on the bottom....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts