Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the previous owners have cut the dash area to fit a larger cassette/radio player at some point in time. I have fitted a correct radio and think it looks awful with these cuts.

How would you do it to fix this back to original? Is the only solution to fit the dash repair panel?

Attachments

·
Registered
1966 GT Fastback, 289 EFI, T5z
486 Posts
Temporarily, you could fab up a bezel / cover out of aluminum or steel sheet and secure it under the radio knobs. You could paint it red, black or "chrome"-ish, and it would look better. Long term, you'll want to make a piece that fits the cut area exactly (somebody may even make patch panels because this problem is so wide spread), get that welded in, ground down and then paint the whole dash.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I've got no idea how it would hold up, but I would be tempted to use JB Weld as filler. There's also a JB Weld putty called Steelstick that might be easier to work with. Add some metal backing for reinforcement and it might work.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would do some sort of bezel plate like drsbmiller suggested to get by.

When it came to full repair here is what I think I would do. Remove the radio and get a piece of 18-20 ga sheet metal cut it to the length of the dash area. If you try to make plates for each hole I think it would take longer and be a huge pain in the butt. It would take some time but you should be able to match the curves pretty close with just a bench vise and hammer. Cut the holes out for the radio face and knobs then sandwich the piece between the radio and dash. The low spots could be filled with JB weld like 74Rallye said or even body filler. Then paint it all and should be good to go.

You could weld up the holes too but I would worry about things getting too hot so I would just let the radio hold the plate tight against the dash and fill if the holes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
One of the previous owners have cut the dash area to fit a larger cassette/radio player at some point in time. I have fitted a correct radio and think it looks awful with these cuts.

How would you do it to fix this back to original? Is the only solution to fit the dash repair panel?
The way I look at there is only two ways to fix this.
1. Weld in the patch panel most places sell and repaint the dash.
2. Upgrade to the 8-track player that was available in 66 I’m not sure if it was available in 65. Heres a link to one. 65-66 Mustang factory radio am 8 track with face bezel. T6SMZ,C6ZA-18842 | eBay
This would require more cutting and a restoration of the faceplate. But would be a cool feature to have.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Are you set in having the stock radio look? The factory radio delete panel would cover tha all up and you could use the now popular bluetooth amps. Those have no head unit and all music is controlled from your phone.

Reactions: My66HT

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
That looks like the "factory" cut out for the original AM 8 track! I had a black coupe with the same holes and found "witness marks" for the "plate" . I ponied up and bought one that worked and it covered everything. It was a plus when I sold the car too!

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
There's a plastic dash panel advertised too, but honestly the dash needs to be painted anyway so I'd do it right...new metal, weld, grind, sand, prime and paint. Or, if it's your forever car, turn it into a space to mount a tablet if you like tech...

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I would put in a non-stock radio with a faceplate to cover the damage. Someday you or the next owner can do it right.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It's also possible just to make the missing pieces of the dash from some sheet metal and weld back in. That's how I did it, my dash looked similar. Not really an dificult job, just takes some patience if going for an perfect factory look.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
They make a steel patch panel specifically to fix that problem.

Or here's the radio delete plate if you just want to hide it completely:

Or it might be a good excuse to go out and buy a 3D printer and try to create your own version of that 8-Track bezel. Welding in the patch is probably the quicker and easier route though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree, use an after market stamping or look for an origonal dash yiu can cut it out of..
I bought a stamping from CJP and cut to fit as my radio hole wasn't as butchered as yours. I've yet to welding place as I've parked yhe project for a bit.
The aftermarket stamping is wide enough that the glove box door and instrument panel can hide the ends. The top part will be hidden by the dash. So all you really have to worry about is the body line at the lower part of the stamping,,
I suggest yiu buy it from the supplier yiu prefer and see how best you can make it work for a permanent repair. It will be worth the effort,,

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts