Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yes, unless he has good experiance with adhesive.
Welding is best, and is a permanent repair.
Its a light enough stamping to overlay the origonal dash, although I am fitting the parts i need for my repair into rather then on top of the dash.
Issue is the amount of disassembly / fire protection he is willing to undertake to do the job properly.
All we can do is give him options based on what success or failures we've experianced,

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I purchased the metal patch panel that will be used to repair my dash one day, but until I'm ready to undertake that task, I used it as a mold to layup a fiberglass trim panel. It Is a perfect fit and appears stock with the exception of the lower edge.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I purchased the metal patch panel that will be used to repair my dash one day, but until I'm ready to undertake that task, I used it as a mold to layup a fiberglass trim panel. It Is a perfect fit and appears stock with the exception of the lower edge.
View attachment 803445

View attachment 803447
Thats a great idea and looks well done !
Can you do front fenders and doors too ? ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I used an aftermarket patch panel making cuts as they did in the video IndyRod referenced. I tacked it in with a 120V wire feed welder with the intention of finishing it with my employers Mig welder, but decided heck with it and finished it with mine. Here is the panel before and the dash after.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have a patch panel (bought from CJs) that I can sell you for $10 including shipping. If you're the PNW I'll just give it to you for free.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I kind of like that Retrosound now offers the DIN repair kit and may actually go that route so I can use one of their radios. I'm not ready to disassemble my dash and repair, weld, repaint it just yet.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts