Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing new rear upper torque boxes and they do not fit. The view from the side shows there is a big gap between the box and the rail. The box cannot go back because of the upper flange on the frame rail(bottom torque box). The box fits the new floor pan perfectly. Would you just leave the gap or how would you fix it. Thanks in advance. Chris

http://jonessalons.com/mustang/reartorque.jpg

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
First choice would be move the rear vertical bend (in the 3rd pic) about an inch forward. You'll then have to trim the vertical flange because it will be too long. That will allow the box to slide back and reduce the gap shown in pic #3 without changing the frame rail shape.
Good lap welds all around then for strength.
How does the new piece compare to the old?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new piece is 16 ga sheet metal I believe. The one I removed was hand made out of 22 ga from the previous owner.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Before you do what is suggested above, just check to make sure that there is enough material left on the front edge to still meet the floor. If you move the rear flange, move the replacement panel back to fit the rail, you may be moving the front edge back too far to meet the floor. If this checks out, I would second that suggestion.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hmm, I just received a lower patch pannel for my 66 Fastback, and the fit sucks! It's the same brand you are using! Looks like I'll be ordering another one from someplace else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts