Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I received my passenger side inner wheelhouse and forgot about the spare tire dent that my car does not have.

I sliced it, hammered it out and welded some new metal in the slices that grew with distortion, but after working it the metal is now thin and brittle and I dont think I want to use it.

How would you go about removing that dent? I have a spare drivers side inner and was pondering trying to cut a dome section out of it and using it to repair, but it may be more trouble than it's worth.

I have never made a compound curve like a dome before, any videos or tips?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
How does it fit otherwise?

The dynacorn assembly I have (no spare dent) fits way better than the no name outer I have. You may save yourself some work using a Dynacorn inner with no dent.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It took a few tries to get this one from the vendor, I did not know that the dynacorn had no dent. That is news to me, I really wish that would have turned up in the multiple searches that I did...

No idea on fit, never made it that far, it's just the inner, no outer.

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Seen it on TV. Plastic mallet, and a 12" X 12" bag of beans. The bag is made out of leather. This is how you bend metal slowly.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the dimple is to deep for that, it has more material than it would need to match the contour of the wheel well.

I checked on the dynacorn, it looks like the have a wheelhouse without the dent, but not halves?

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
I think the dimple is to deep for that, it has more material than it would need to match the contour of the wheel well.

I checked on the dynacorn, it looks like the have a wheelhouse without the dent, but not halves?
Agreed. I think she'll pop out.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Yeah, I went looking after I posted to find a pic to add to the thread and noticed what you noticed, the stand alone inner seems to have the dent...Of course it could be the dreaded, we'll use any pic from anywhere to illustrate a part.

Very weird. The inner outer assembly is expensive compared to the individual parts. It does seem like dynacorn finds a way to make you spend money to get the "good" stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts