Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. Have two grand to spend. Car needs front and rear suspension rebuilt, 15 inch wheels and decent tires. Help me decide the best way to go because I can't make up my mind. I would like to lower the car 1 inch or more and have good handling without bone jarring ride or tons of rear wheel hop. Is this possible? Thanks.

65 Fastback.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
On the front I'd re-build and/or replace your stock suspension components. Change front spring to 1" lowered progressive rate, or 1" lowered 620 lb. Add 1" front sway bar, and do the Shelby Drop (Maybe throw on a set of Street-or-Track adjustable strut rods if the budget allows). For the back I'd change the springs out to 4 or 4-1/2 leaf reverse eye (1" lower) and add a rear sway bar and Traction Master under-ride bars. Then tie it all together with a set of TCP or Global West sub-frame connectors.

Then spend the rest of your budget on the Best Wheels & Tires you can find ;)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Pretty quickly.

I think full suspension kits are under 1 large.

Wheels and tire are a little over 1 large.

But go with your basics.

If you want to lower the car I would opt for the more aggressive springs to keep from bottoming out.

If you want the car to be factory height. Factory spring rates are fine. Lower the front (aka Shelby Drop).

Check your options in regard to rubber, polyurethane or milodyne bushings. Rubber is the softest ride, possibly sloppy. Urethane and Milodyne are harsher ride and tighter.

Either way, the choice is up to you.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'd start with a suspension kit from one of the big Mustang vendors. They all sell kits from about $580 on up depending on how high tech you want to go. If you want to pience it together, I think Laurel Mountain Mustang had a good front kit with some non-squeaky, poly-type bushings (forget the name). I'd go with rear mid-eye springs from Mustang Plus. I think their line is called Grab-a-trak now. I'd round things off with KYB shocks, the cheaper ones, not the adjustable ones. The one thing that I'd recommend is getting a standard height spring and then cutting it down to level out the car. When I redid my suspension, I used the short 620 springs with the Shelby drop and mideyes out back and my front end was too low for everyday driving. I scraped on a lot but man, the car looked good with a forward rake. Since then, i've installed the standard springs again and after everything has settled, I'm about an inch higher in front that I'd like to be, so I'll be trimming the springs eventually. Then, use the rest of the money on rims and tires. The rims are your preference but I'm partial to the Torque types (D's or TT's) although Styled Steel is really growing on me these days too. Just watch out for the backspacing. 15 inch is a great size because you can still get raised white lettering on the tires... and man, I love that look. Good luck with your choices!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I would buy TCP manual rack-n-pinion steering and see what is left. Something like $800, maybe.

Do the -1" UCA drop. $a few for drills.

I am into soft springs and big bars. I would buy 1" front bar and 3/4" rear bar (adjustable rear if possible). That's about $160, $640 left.

Unless rear springs are sagging, I would keep them. I would consider cutting front springs 1/4 of coil at a time, if they aren't sagging much either, cutting coils lowers car and also makes the springs a tad stiffer (don't ask how much). Put poly bushing in the front eye and rubber bushings to rear eye and make sure the spring - rear axle is securely bolted.

I had 13/16" bar and I just upgraded to poly bushings and bought 620 -1" springs instead of 1" bar. But I had six-cyl springs (ex- cheapo drag toy), so springs were a must anyway.

Buy a set of new damper, like KYB Gas-A-Just or softer GR-2 or M+ Grab-a-traks, about $100. When you really start to set up the car, you will want adjustable dampers.

I would examine the lower and upper arms and replace and/or rebuilt if necessary. The whole set is about $300.

Source some 15" steel wheels, 15*6 will do on budget, paint them black and shod them with no more than 60 series tires, like 225/55/15 or what you can find these days. Don't blow your money into fancy wheels, their effect on handling comes much later than previous stuff.

I have about similar set up (except Koni dampers at front) and I can keep up with late-models in parking lot slaloms with gas station dump sourced Michelin MX3V 205/60/15. Not to mention all the ricers at freeway ramps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts