Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So today started well. Was under the car to remove the rear main cap and replace the seal. All went well and had the cap on the table with old seal and pin out ready to go back in.

Went under the car to drive out the top half and then the problems began. Even though it looked like it was the second half of the seal it was quite soft and didn't seem to have any metal core. A few taps confirmed my suspicion as the punch just went in without anything coming out on the other side. Tried the other side with the same result. Then tried using a screw and pulling on it with pliers..onlly managed to pull out a few little pieces. I THINK a PO left the top half of the old rope seal in place and only replaced the bottom half with the newer type.

Oh well, I suppose this means I need to drop the transmission (presume I don't have to then also remove the engine to replace the other half of the seal??). Anyway, that's the least of my issues.

Whilst there feeling glum I looked up into the pistons and noticed what looked like hair on one of the skirts...touched it and the skirt moved, only a little, but enough for me to realise its a crack!!!. Talk about feeling deflated. Now, the engine was running just 48 hours ago, so I don't know how long this would last before it let go but I kind of wish I hadn't seen it...Presume I now need to tear the engine down completely and replace at least one piston.....pah!!!!

Grant

Attachments

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Since you have the oil pan out, you could remove the head on that side with the cracked piston and push it out without having to pull the engine, but I'd be nervous every time I started the engine after that wondering what else could have been missed. Tough call.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,101 Posts
I've pulled apart more than a few windsors with piston skirts in the pan. Typically the owner never knew. But with the questionable rear main I'd be curious as to what else the previous owner half assed,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts