Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
well, it looks like youre about half done :D

installing a headliner is a real pain in the ass...i screwed my first one up beyond belief, but the second time around was a little bit easier (gained some wisdom from the first experiance :) ) Basically what I did with mine, was glue it in and trim it completely, and it looked pretty much teh same as yours. Then after that, It was a game of adding heat to it with a hair dryer, and basically re-glueing the whole thing, one side at a time. I first pulled the windshield loose, reglued it, then the back window, then the sides...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,897 Posts
Looking really good! Looks like you need to do some pulls to the door roof rails yet and tackle that sail panel area. The sail panel is the biggest PIA, but take your time and plan on separating your glued areas a time or two. Use plenty of clips too. The office depot binder clips worked really well for me. I bought a box of them and needed them all too. Just be patient, I can't stress that enough. It took me two weeks and two tries in the sail panel area to make mine come out right. But I'm very pleased.

When you have a wrinkle developing somewhere, stretch and pull and figure out how you can make it disappear without comprimising the surrounding areas. Don't be satisfied with remaining wrinkles, they need to come out and don't disappear easily on their own, if at all. Thats the challenge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
913 Posts
To be honest, from what i see you didn't cut your listings on the bows back far enought to allow you to pull all those side to side wrinkles out. I agree with the sail panels being the hardest part.

I hope you're following my wrie-up on this process (with teh addition of the bow retaining wire in your case). If you're not and still have problems refer to the in depth write-up i did that is located here.

http://members.cox.net/sirius70817/Headliner-Install/HeadlinerInstall-pg1.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,926 Posts
I agree with the post here that suggested you use binder clips instead of glue when you first stretch out the headliner. start by pulling the center of the back section and clipping it in place. Then pull the front center to the front windshield, get it taut, and binder clip that in place. Then start at the front and do each section at a time, first one side then another. Take your time along the front and A-piller area. Don't trim any edges until after you are completely finished with the install (you will have to trim the listing pockets in which the rods insert). Get the entire headliner up with binder clips to the point that it is "perfect", let it sit overnight, then go back and glue it in. I strongly recommend against headliner glue. The headliner glue I purchased from a mustang catalog house was so "hot" with solvents in it that it literally ate away the headliner material in some spots. I use contact cement. If you do a search you will find a post several months back where I explained in great detail how i installed the headliner in a 66 coupe. I have put in a 70 sportsroof and 66 coupe so far and the sportsroof was the easier of the two. I never rely on a heat gun and try to get it wrinkle free without applying heat. good luck.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top