Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to the site, and I love it so far!! I am looking into purchasing an early model mustang convertible. I wanted to know something about the power steering available on these cars. For example, does it work well? Can you live without it? If not, is it hard to add? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
From my view, the p/s on early mustangs are fair, but I prefer non power cars due to my driving habits (hard cornering, high speeds.) Adding p/s is not difficult, provided that you have access to all of the parts, tools, and have a bit of mechanical background.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Manual steering is a bit of a bear, but many people like it. PS is very nice, and some think it's OVERpowered. I have it and love it. It is fairly difficult to add, but not one of the worst things to do.

And Welcome to VMF!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Power steering is very nice. And fairly easy to work on when theres leaks or problems. If you can find a car with it, thats a big plus in my book. I have have all 4 drum Manual brakes, and I can live with putting slightly more pressure on the brake pedal. But I hear that the manual steering espesially in tight spots is a real workout. Hope you find the car you want!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you haven't driven a mid 60's Ford with manual steering, you will be pretty shocked at the steering effort at low speeds. Particularly if the car has typical mods like wider tires and an aftermarket smaller diameter steering wheel.
You can live without p/s, it is an issue of quality of life.
There are alternatives for adding p/s:
Stock unit - kludgy system prone to leaks, but the most striaght forward.
Total Control Products rack and pinion - nicely engineered unit, close to a bolt on, but really expensive.
Swap in a R&P from another car - how good are you at fabricating and I haven't heard of one where you did not loose turning radius.
Swap in a Mustang II suspension, either from a kit or junkyard parts - can you weld and fabricate? Greatly increases room under the hood by allowing you to remove the shock towers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts