Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to restore a HP 289 for my Fastback. I'm not sure we are going for a Concours restoration, but I do have a question regarding the head and manifold bolts. After a clean-up these appear to be original and in good condition. I could of course replace them but is there any advantage to be gained by retaining the original bolts? Exhaust header bolts and retaining hardware in less than great shape.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
IMHO, replace them unless you have no other option..... unless you check them for fractures/fatigue, etc. cheap insurance

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
If you're going to do a concours (or even a semi-concours) restoration, I would suggest re-using the original hardware as long as there aren't significant rust issues. Exhaust manifold bolts & locks are a different story, and since reproductions are readily available from AMK, I would suggest replacing those. If you do go with new fasteners, make sure you get AMK when available.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
If they are in good shape you can replace them if not buy an AMK kit to replace them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts