Vintage Mustang Forums banner

HP gain

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Woodchuck 
G
#1 ·
What kind of a HP gain can i expect from a performer intake and a 600 carb on a 1972 ford mustang v8 302. Also what will i notice liek diferent in the car or will i notice anything diferent? will it also increase my torque?

#2 ·
There many variables to consider..the items as you mentioned should add about 20 HP..you will feel it at 2,000 RPM's and above..but to get the full benefit, you should add headers and dual exhausts..to help breathing..then a bigger cam, then a good set of heads...then a rear end ratio change..*LOL*..man are you in for some big time spending..*LOL*

'59 T-Bird..[color:blue]'70 Mustang Convert</font color=blue>...[color:green]'72 Mach One</font color=green>
http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/t-bird.jpg
The Black Bird At 42,she's the oldest in my Ford stable

#7 ·
There many variables to consider..the items as you mentioned should add about 20 HP..you will feel it at 2,000 RPM's and above..but to get the full benefit, you should add headers and dual exhausts..to help breathing..then a bigger cam, then a good set of heads...then a rear end ratio change..LOL..man are you in for some big time spending..LOL

'59 T-Bird..[color:blue]'70 Mustang Convert</font color=blue>...[color:green]'72 Mach One</font color=green>
It does have dual exhaust and 1-5/8" headers

#4 ·
they will help alot..you will notice a difference, combined I would estimate 30 more horses

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/t-bird.jpg

G
#5 ·
If your replacing a 2 barrel carb and intake you will feel a huge difference. I had an ole 302 with a 2 barrel carb on it when I hit the gas all it did was chirp a tire, when I slapped the same setup on that you are going to do, It would roast all the way thru 1 gear and snag second... I was very surprised. You must be warned though once you start to feel the power you wont stop there...:)

68 Fastback.

G
#6 ·
I agree. When I first started to modify my '68 w/ a 289, I was in high school. Each time I added a component I raced my friend w/ a Z28 Camero (Chevy 350). I started with a 4v and cast manifold and headers w/ dual exhaust- big difference, but he beat me by about three car lengths. Then, I added a Ford Alum high rise, and he beat me by one car length. Then, I swapped out my 2.79 gears for 3.55s, and I beat him by two car lengths. He said he would no longer run me. Then, I added a cam, 351 Windsor heads for a huge difference. Now, 19 years later, I've added the Holley supercharger and my 0-60 time (according to my G-Tech) is almost two full seconds quicker. Where is Tony and his Z28 when I really need an ego boost!

'68 Coupe, Modified 289 w/ Holley blower
'65 Convertible (future 66 Shelby GT350 clone)
427 Cobra Replica

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.