Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would the average Horse power loss be with a C6?
I know it is more than the C4. I am just curious trying to calculate my fly wheel HP.
I tried to do a search but nothing came up other than alueding to the increased Hp loss with a C6 but no percentages.

G

·
0 Posts
I can't give you a for sure, but I remember an OLD article about the person that designed the automatic & a Ford mag article saying it was 33%, just doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Depends on how the trans is built and the rpm at which the HP drain is calculated. As automatics utilize hydraulic pumps, HP requirements vary with speed and pressure...as do parasitic losses..

At or near terminal rpm with a stock C6, an estimate of 40-45 hp would be reasonable, IMO...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I agree with Pat. Although I am NOT an expert at Ford automatics, I have specifically steered away from C6's from the info gathered from my "racing buddies". The size of the planetary gear and the hp alone to drive it is a lot more than the C4. Most guys I know that run a big block opt more and more for a well built C4 or the more uncommon C5 (the truck version of the C4). I have a C5 that I picked up in the sale of a Boss 302 motor and some other goodies that has been built to withstand 1000hp plus a shot of nitrous. Obviously, this is the extreme. I think it might be money well spent if you invest in one of the "smaller" autos and have it built.....

randy

G

·
0 Posts
The consensus among most C6 users that I polled awhile back was somewhere in the 25-28% range. I know this seems really high but when you compare the rotating mass to a C4 it starts to make sense. If you are planning on making over 350 ft-lbs of torque and don't have a ton of money to build a high end C4 then a C6 is a good choice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts