Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow it's hot out in my barn!

I went out tonight to prep my car for the new power steering return hose NPD has headed my way. I got the old one off Saturday, but I noticed that the frame nuts that my drop bracket for the slave cylinder mount to were loose...so I wanted to take the bracket off and weld them in securely. That MIG welder really comes in hand for stuff like that.

With coveralls, leather gloves and a welding helmet on, I was sweating up a storm. It was about 95 in the barn with 99% humidity. WOW! I messed around with a few other things, like replacing the leaking air line on my compressor, and cleaning up a few tools, but after I while I just couldn't take it.

Anyway, all I've got left to do is put on the new hose, fill with fluid, test, remount the d/s front wheel, and take it off the jackstands...so if it comes tomorrow I just might have a chance to get it done.

Hopefully my coveralls will dry out by then. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Anyhoo...there's a brace of Harp's in the fridge calling "Phil....Phil....come and drink us Phil!"

SEE YA!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Wow, we don't don't have humidity here in Wyo. Don't know what it is, hehe. I really have respect for people who live in humid conditions. Here, when it gets to 100 degrees, its just da^n hot!! The sun and wind saps all the energy out of your body. Beer is of no help, just water. Typical desert weather.

G

·
Ugh!!! Nothing worse that 95/95 in the midwest. I spent three months there one week. Weather brought everything but cold showers to a standstill. Put 1000 miles on my rental car just so I could enjoy the air conditioning!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I can relate...I stood in the afternoon sun today grinding parting lines and exhaust bumps in one of my cleveland heads today...beating sun and humidity....thought I escaped this garbage since moving from the southeast!!!

The folks I don't want to be are closer to you......negative temps and feet of snow in the winter, summers that nearly match the southeast....and entirely too close to canadians, LOL

just kidding!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
You Yankees /forums/images/icons/wink.gif make me laugh when you talk about Humidity! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Couldn't get a reading for So. Indiana, but Lexington, KY only reports 83%. Down here in the sultry South, We have real humidity 93% at 10pm! It's like breathing underwater if you're not used to it. Now as for heat--It doesn't matter where you go HOT is HOT!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
22,124 Posts
One thing I really miss about living out west. Perspiration actually evaporated and performed a cooling function. Here "down south" it just soaks your clothes and drips in your eyes.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Shoot! That is what it is like every day here in Nashville. I guess you will be finding out in a couple of weeks!!

G

·
Here in California humidity is rarely a factor. I want to experience it so badly that I'm going to Miami the first week of August (Oh Yeah) and ....are you ready for this?? Austin Texas...Last week of August...for...Fire Fighting School. Can you say "High Liquid Consumption"?

·
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not exagerating about the 99% humidity. It rained for about 10 minutes at 5:00. Not enough to cool it off at all...but it took the humidity right to 100%. And, it was probably only 85 outside last night, but it was AT LEAST 95 in my barn, which had been closed up all day.

I don't think a window unit A/C would touch it.

Phil

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Phil - You could heat the barn up to 110 degrees and try to burn off that humidity, but I guess that's kinda counterproductive, eh? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

This Sunday past I goofed around on the car outside, removing the brake calipers. Like Paul said, it was a 95/95 day. After 2 hours I was literally dripping, as my shorts and shirt could not hold any more sweat. I had another hour or so that I could have blown on the car before I was due home, but I had to pack it in before I passed out ! Dickson

·
Registered
789 Posts
I just road in my '66 Stang Convertible for the last time today......It was like driving a tin can in the sun....damn it was hot (no AC or firewall padding or carpeting insulation)! It's new home will be on the other side of the Atlantic in Denmark....A project for another to tackle. It needs a full resto...welding and all... But there's alot of life in that Pony yet straight six kept on running well...even after a year of sitting....just put in a new battery and away it went!

·
Registered
657 Posts
You have just got to be a naturally lucky guy! Have you considered paying a substitute to take yourplace?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts