Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I like to think I'm an average guy (great SWMBO, great dog, I work hard, I love sports, I own a vintage Mustang, etc...) I have to admit that I have NO CLUE as to how to do "cool stuff" like a smoking burnout. I've tried a few times with the car pictured below, and I just couldn't figure it out. Don't ask what did happen - or who saw it...

Could someone give me a pointer or two, please???

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
What's your setup? Engine, rear gears, posi, non-posi? etc...

----------------------------------------------------------------

Just looked at your Web site. If you cannot spin 'em with that setup I don't know if I can help you /forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Jay /forums/images/icons/mad.gif!!! That's why I posted it here as opposed to asking someone in person - It's easier to imagine the laughter of someone at a keyboard than to see the mocking laughter in my face!!!

OK - You want more humility - here's the list of cars I've driven in chronological order:
'69 VW bug, '83 buick diesel station wagon, '84 Mercury Topaz, '84 Caddy Seville, '92 Ford Probe, '97 Jeep. AM I A WILD MAN, OR WHAT?!?!?!

G

·
0 Posts
line lock will help, the stock 6cyl can spin tires, smoke them? I don't believe it will.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
A line lock is cheating!!!

Rev that 302 up to about 4000, sidestep the clutch, and floor the accelerator....nothing to it! Note that you will also quickly find any weaknesses in your car/drivetrain.

Burnout

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
It's tougher with a stick.

Back off the rear brake adjusters, maybe remove the self adjusting mechanism.
I used my right foot to "heel and toe" the accelerator and brake pedal leaving my left foot to work the clutch.

Get the tires spinning in first, speed shift to second while releasing the brake. Takes a little "finesse" but years ago, I had this mastered!

(A peg 3:00 gear will assuredly cause you to pollute the atmosphere, just make sure everyone is on your right side!)

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Well, maybe it's good you moved from PA to NJ. It saves us the embaressment!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
Seriously, line lock will help. I've seen guys put a washer pump in the trunk and hook it up to squirt water/bleach mixes onto the tires. But, then again burnouts are not everything!!!
If you have the "touch" a light brake pedal push while hitting the gas may work. Practice Practice Practice!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Oh geez! It's a stick!!! Sorry. I use to do major smokey ones with my 75 Pinto wagon, 2.3 stick. Rev it, dump it, floor it. Thats all i did.
But, man, that is a good looking car you got there, so who cares?

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Yes I am!!! I don't use one! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I just occassionally have "poorly adjusted front/rear brake bias".........................

G

·
0 Posts
Do the simple thing, cut the rear brake line=cheap line lock............

(Make sure you have a dual master cylider first, LOL)

G

·
0 Posts
That's it, that all your car can do....My TA can somke the tires better than that and thats only a 185hp 403ci

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Wow, I just read the specs on your motor on your web sight. Sounds like a great set=up and you should be able to smoke them thru 2nd and have traction problems in 3rd. Note that the cam and intake your running move the power band up a bit. And depending you which year your T5 is, it might be your weak link. Like the others said, dump the clutch around 4K RPM and if nothing breaks, you should be doing a major burnout. If the motor is spinning and the wheels are not moving, then your clutch is going out. If you are boging, then either give it more gas or play with your timing and/or air/fuel ratio. Good luck and have fun. BTW, while burnouts are fun, it is not a way to go faster! Oh yea, if burnouts are the quest, then get some cheepo bias ply tires that are like 14x60x185 or something in that range that will fit your wheels. You'll be able to spin the tires untill they fall off /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"BTW, while burnouts are fun, it is not a way to go faster!"

I know, I know... I had a question, I knew I could get help from the VMF, (and some abuse) and tonight I will find a nice abandoned parking lot.....

Going faster... I have this dream about Skip Barber Driving School /forums/images/icons/smile.gif...

·
Registered
290 Posts
I find that tires make a big difference.

On my old 302, that prob did 200hp, I could smoke the tires nicely. Tires where:

Turbo Lee Radial's

On my new 351W beast, I've put down over 300feet of rubber in a single pass with:

Turbo Lee Radial's

However, I have TigerPaw tires in the rear of my 351W right now, and they don't smoke period...

Tire seems to make a big difference.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
"Going faster... I have this dream about Skip Barber Driving School" Not sure what is in your area but in Texas, I really enjoy the Porshe DE's at TWS www.texasworldspeedway.com And Auto-X is a good and safe was to push your car and learn skills. Have fun /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
My inline has no problem putting all sorts of rubber onto the ground. The first thing to do is remove the V8. Then put a REAL engine into the car and you'll be able to smoke the tires with no problem. :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts